Recently, MediaTek announced the World’s smallest 4-in-1 Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, FM Combo Chip.
Designed to enrich multimedia experience, the MediaTek MT6620 integrates 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0+HS, GPS, and FM transmitter/receiver on a single chip with superior size and power benefits, making it the best solution for smartphones, tablets, and portables.
The MT6620 implements advanced and sophisticated radio coexistence algorithms and hardware mechanisms to enhance overall quality for simultaneous voice, data, and audio/video transmissions. Its small size significantly reduces PCB layout area and simplifies design efforts. In addition, the MediaTek Symphony software package supports all advanced wireless features on the Android OS. BlueAngel Bluetooth software currently can support up to 15 user profiles.
The MT6620 supports dual band 2.4GHz and 5GHz 802.11n Wi-Fi with WiFi Direct and Hotspot. Also, Bluetooth 4.0+HS for simultaneous dual mode Bluetooth BR/EDR/HS and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) operations, GPS with Galileo/SBAS/QZSS and AlwaysLocate technology, FM radio with both transmitter and receiver.
SR Tsai, General Manager of the Wireless Connectivity Business Unit at MediaTek said, “MediaTek is one of few in the industry to offer 4-in-1 SoC solution for a wide range of mobile applications. As a result of this attention to mobile device manufacturers’ needs, the MT6620 was designed to meet strict requirements, such as low power modes to conserve battery life. A reduced footprint to fit into small, sleek handset designs, and low cost to enable mass market mobile Wi-Fi enabled handsets. We believe that the MT6620 is optimized for mobile devices at the hardware, firmware, and driver levels to speed time to market of innovative designs.”
MediaTek MT6620 features
- Low power, small size and high performance Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/GPS/FM solution
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n dual band single stream (20/40MHz) with dual band LNA and 2.4GHz PA integration
- Bluetooth 4.0+HS support with PA integration
- Supports GPS/Galileo/QZSS/SBAS with -165dBm tracking sensitivity
- FM Tx/Rx with RDS/RBDS support
- Supports Wi-Fi Direct and WAPI hardware encryption
- Supports FM over Bluetooth
- PLC (Packet Loss Concealment) technology for superior audio quality
- Advanced AlwaysLocate location awareness technology with ultralow power consumption
- Flexible host interfaces including single SDIO for all wireless functions
The MT6620 is an ideal solution for portable devices that require superior performance and long battery life. The MT6620 has entered mass production and is shipping to lead customers in sizable quantities now.