Less than a week ago, MediaTek announced its MT5931 – world’s smallest single stream 802.11n Wi-Fi chip for mobile devices.
The Wi-Fi chip is designed for internet access and P2P multimedia sharing with the smallest footprint and longest battery life for mobile and portable devices. The MediaTek MT5931 integrates 802.11n Wi-Fi MAC, baseband, radio, embedded processor, and power management unit on one compact and power efficient chip.
The MediaTek MT5931 single chip SoC, measuring less than 9mm^2 in chip scale package and integrates PA, LNA, and T/R switch on chip with a few external components. Advanced Wi-Fi features like STBC, Wi-Fi Direct, and hot spot mode are also fully supported.
MediaTek MT5931 key features
- AIO Wireless LAN SOC solution (MAC/Baseband/Radio)
- Single-Band 2.4GHz IEEE Std 802.11b/g/n compliant
- Supports IEEE Std 802.11d/e/i/k/r/w features
- Single Stream 802.11n support for up to 150 Mbps data rate (HT40)
- PA, LNA, and Transmit/Receive Switch integrated on chip
- Integrated 32-bit RISC processor
- Supports SDIO v2.0 (50MHz, 4-bit and 1-bit) and SPI host interface
- Calibration free with integrated OTP function
- Supports Wi-Fi Direct for up to 8 clients
- WMM and WMM-PS support (QoS)
- 1/2/3-wire Bluetooth coexistence interface support
- Advanced security and setup support
- WPA/WPA2 (Enterprise, Personal) encryption and authentication support
- WEP, TKIP, AES, and WAPI (WAI/WPI) hardware engine for fast data encryption
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) support
SR Tsai, General Manager of the Wireless Connectivity Business Unit at MediaTek said, “MediaTek is one of the leading companies to offer highly integrated Wi-Fi SoC solution for a wide range of portable and mobile devices. The MT5931 was designed to meet industry’s tier 1 requirements, such as low energy consumption for long battery life, a very compact footprint for highest level of flexibility in PCB designs, and low system manufacturing cost to make Wi-Fi an affordable feature for various segments of consumer electronics devices. With the introduction of the MT5931, legacy consumer devices can be easily migrated to Wi-Fi enabled smart devices with the minimum design and manufacturing efforts.”
The MediaTek MT5931 has entered mass production and shipping to lead customers in large quantities.