Many people are into video editing, both amateur and professional. If you prefer a desktop computer, we also have a very practical guide on the best configuration for a video editing PC. But many users, due to mobility issues or lack of space, prefer a laptop to carry out their work. Depending on the software you use for editing or your needs, you should choose a computer with more or less powerful hardware.
Some people only use it for very basic things, or sporadic edits, and even small video clips, which do not demand too high a power. Others are looking for more power to move graphics engines, do simulations, edit / encode long videos, for VFX effects, etc. Be that as it may, here you will find the help you need to choose the best product.
Best Laptop for Video Editing Under $1000
What are the best computers to edit videos? It does not matter if you are a Mac or Windows user if you have a high or a low budget. The fact is that if you currently need a new, powerful computer with the latest technology and quality graphics, here you will find a small selection with 9 of the best laptops for video editing in 2022 that you can find.
Best Laptop for Video Editing Under $1000 | Comparison Table 2022
|2022 Acer Aspire 5 Slim 15.6" FHD Laptop Computer, AMD Ryzen 3-3200U CPU, 8GB RAM, 128GB PCIe SSD, Backlit Keyboard, AMD Radeon Vega 3 Graphics, HD Webcam, Win 10S, Silver, 32GB SnowBell USB Card||Acer||Check Price|
|2020 HP 17.3" HD+ Premium Laptop Computer, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Quad-Core Up to 3.7GHz, 12GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, DVDRW, AMD Radeon Vega 8, 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2, USB 3.1, HDMI, Black, Windows 10||HP||Check Price|
|Lenovo Flex 5 14" FHD IPS 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop | AMD Ryzen 7 4700U 8-Core | 16GB DDR4 RAM | 1TB SSD | Backlit Keyboard | Fingerprint Reader | Win 10 | with High Speed 6FT HDMI Cable Bundled||Lenovo||Check Price|
|2022 HP 14 inch HD Laptop Newest for Business and Student, AMD Athlon Silver 3050U (Beat i5-7200U), 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, 802.11ac, WiFi, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 10 w/HESVAP 3in1 Accessories||HP||Check Price|
|Lenovo Ideapad L340 Gaming Laptop, 15.6 Inch FHD (1920 X 1080) IPS Display, Intel Core i5-9300H Processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB Nvme SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, Windows 10, 81LK00HDUS, Black||Lenovo||Check Price|
|HP 14" Touchscreen Home and Business Laptop Ryzen 3-3200U, 8GB RAM, 128GB M.2 SSD, Dual-Core up to 3.50 GHz, Vega 3 Graphics, RJ-45, USB-C, 4K Output HDMI, Bluetooth, Webcam, 1366x768, Win 10||HP||Check Price|
|(Renewed) Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01 11.6-inch, Exynos 5250, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, Silver||SAMSUNG||Check Price|
|2022 HP Stream 14" HD Laptop Computer, Intel Celeron N4020 Dual-core Processor, 4GB DDR4 RAM, 64GB eMMC, Intel HD Graphics, 1 Year Office 365, Webcam, HDMI, Windows 10S, White, 128GB SnowBell USB Card||HP||Check Price|
|2020 Apple MacBook Air Laptop: Apple M1 Chip, 13” Retina Display, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Storage, Backlit Keyboard, FaceTime HD Camera, Touch ID. Works with iPhone/iPad; Silver||Apple||Check Price|
Prices and images pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Best Laptop for Video Editing Under $1000 | 2022 Products Overview
1. Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop
- 【15.6 Non-touch FHD Display】15.6 Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display,
- 【AMD Ryzen Processor】AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual-Core Processor 2.6GHz with Precision Boost up to 3.5GHz (Up to 4MB L3 Cache),
- 【RAM and Storage】8GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB Solid State Drive, Back-lit Keyboard
- 【Operating System and Ports】Windows 10 Home in S mode 64-bit, English (Free upgrade to Windows 10 Home); 802.11ac Wi-Fi featuring 2x2 MIMO technology (Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz), 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port), Bluetooth 4.0, Back-lit Keyboard, HD Webcam (1280 x 720), 1 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port, 2 - USB 2.0 Ports, 1 - HDMI Port with HDCP support, Lithium-Ion Battery, Up to 7.5-hours Battery Life, 3.97 lbs. | 1.8 kg (system unit only)
- 【Included in the package】Bundled with Oydisen Cloth
2. HP 17.3″
- Powered by latest AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Quad-Core Processor @ 2.1GHz (4 Cores, up to 3.7GHz, 4MB Cache)
- 17.3 diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit 60% NTSC, 220 nits brightness (1600 x 900) Display; AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
- 12GB DDR4-2400MHz SDRAM Memory for full-power multitasking; 256GB SSD offers a compact warehouse for storing all your favourite movies, music, photos, and more in one convenient place
- DVD-Writer; Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo; 1 HDMI; 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 RJ-45; 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only); 1 AC smart pin; 1 USB 2.0 Type-A (Data Transfer Only)
- Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, Jet black
3. Lenovo Flex 5 14″
- 【Detailed Configuration】Substantial high-bandwidth 16GB RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once. A flash-based 512GB SSD has no moving parts, resulting in faster start-up times and data access, no noise, and reduced heat production and power draw on the battery.
- 【AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Processor (up to 4.1 GHz)】Imagine, design and create without boundaries. The powerful AMD Ryzen 7 processor features machine intelligence that anticipates your needs. Discover true responsiveness with 8 cores and 8 threads for ultimate performance.
- 【14.0 Touchscreen IPS LCD with LED-backlit FHD Display】The 1920 x 1080 resolution boasts impressive color and clarity. IPS technology for wide viewing angles. Energy-efficient LED backlight. Supports 1080p content. Natural finger-touch navigation makes the most of Windows.
- 【Other Features】Integrated AMD Radeon Graphics: On-processor graphics with shared video memory provide everyday image quality for Internet use, basic photo editing and casual gaming. Fingerprint Reader: The fingerprint reader is a secure way for Windows Hello to verify your identity without a password. Backlit keyboard allows you to enjoy comfortable and accurate typing, even in dim lighting.
- 【Woov Accessory Bundle】Bundled with a 6ft Woov High Speed HDMI Cable that supports 4K content.
4. HP 14 inch HD Laptop
- AMD Athlon Mobile Processor with Radeon Graphics. AMD Athlon Silver 3050U (2.3 GHz, up to 3.2 GHz). Get more done faster on a reliable laptop that can keep up with your everyday tasks.
- 14-inch diagonal HD, SVA, anti-glare, micro-edge, WLED-backlit, (1366 x 768) Display. Gives you the space and clarity you need to get your work done. Weighs 3.24 lbs. and measures 0.8 thin Ultrathin and ultralight for maximum portability, featuring a smaller screen size.
- RAM is upgraded to 16GB DDR4 SDRAM for multitasking Adequate high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once. 512GB solid state drive (SSD) While offering less storage space than a hard drive, a flash-based SSD has no moving parts, resulting in faster start-up times and data access, no noise, and reduced heat production and power draw on the battery.
- Up to 10 Hours of battery life means you can transition from morning meetings to evening entertainment without plugging in.
- Windows 10 Home in S mode, You may switch to regular windows 10: Press Start button bottom left of the screen; Select Settings icon above power icon;Select Update & Security and Activation, then Go to Store; Select Get option under Switch out of S mode; Hit Install. (If you also see an Upgrade your edition of Windows section, be careful not to click the Go to the Store link that appears there.)
5. Lenovo Ideapad L340
- A new dimension of gaming performance awaits - with 9th-generation Intel Core i5 processors, the IdeaPad L340 gaming has the power you need to outshoot, outrun, and outsmart anyone. Includes 8GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB NVMe SSD
- Take it to the next level - With the latest NVIDIA GeForce Graphics behind you, you can tame the hottest titles with faster, smoother, and more power-efficient gameplay. Plus, the 15.6-Inch screen delivers a stunning full HD IPS Display with 1920 x 1080 resolution
- A portal to a new sound dimension - hardwired into every Idea Pad L340 gaming is advanced Dopoundsy audio technology. Take your mobile gaming experience to another dimension and have a real blast along the way
- Control your own fate - Game in quick Mode or work in quiet Mode. Its your call with a simple function setting that lets you shift gears between modes, instantly.
- Final product may vary slightly from image
6. HP 14″ Touchscreen
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Processor (2.60 GHz base clock, up to 3.50 GHz max boost clock, 4 MB Cache, 2 Cores) Smart dual-core, four-way processing performance for HD-quality computing
- 14 Touchscreen, typical 1366 x 768 HD resolution. Natural finger-touch navigation makes the most of Windows 10. Energy-efficient LED backlight screen
- DDR4 2400 MHz RAM Memory with Solid State Drive (SSD) combo brings the muscle for gaming, creating, and advanced multitasking, so you can do it all, anywhere. To smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once
- 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack; 1x Built-in HD webcam with microphone; 1x Built-in fingerprint reader; 1x Built-in media reader for simple photo transfer; 1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert; 1x HDMI 1.4b 4K Output; 1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C; 2x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type A. 12.75 x 8.89 x 0.78 in (323.85 x 225.81 x 19.81 mm), 3.25 lbs. (1.47 kg)
- Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11b/g/n/ac (1x1)(19a) Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2 and RJ-45 LAN Ethernet combo. Connect to a Wireless-AC router for nearly 3x the speed, more capacity and wider coverage than Wireless-N. Backward-compatible with all other Wi-Fi networks and hotspots
7. Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01
- Chrome OS, Samsung Exynos 5250 Dual Core Processor
- Display: 11. 6 LED HD 1366 x 768 16: 9, Ports: HDMI, Headphone/MIC combo, 1 x USB 3. 0 + 1 x USB 2. 0, 3- in-1 (SD/SDHC/SDXC)
- Memory: 2 GB DDR3L RAM, 16GB Solid State Drive
- Built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802. 11 a/b/g/n, Webcam, 3W Stereo Speaker
- This Chromebook is not compatible with Current Updated Google Operating System
- Insert and remove the microSD card for your Samsung Chromebook
- Samsung Chromebook have a best battery life
8. HP Stream 14″
- 14 diagonal HD Display, 1366 x 768 resolution boasts impressive color and clarity, Anti-glare Energy-efficient WLED screen.
- Intel Celeron N4020 Dual-Core Processor, Ultra-low-voltage platform. Dual-core, two-way processing provides maximum high-efficiency power to go.
- 4GB DDR4 RAM, Plenty of high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games as well as multiple programs. 64GB eMMC flash memory, This ultracompact memory system is ideal for mobile devices and applications, providing enhanced storage capabilities, streamlined data management, quick boot-up times and support for high-definition video playback.
- Standard Keyboard, Allows you to enjoy comfortable and accurate typing. Intel Graphics with shared video memory provide solid image quality for Internet use, movies, basic photo editing and casual gaming. Stereo speakers & Built-In Camera with Built-In Microphone.
- Windows 10 S included. 3-cell Lithium-ion battery, 13.3 x 8.9 x 0.7, 3.22 lbs. 2x USB 3.1 Type A, 1x USB 2.0 Type A, 1x HDMI output expands your viewing options, 1x Headphone/microphone combo jack, 1x Built-in media reader for simple photo transfer. Wireless-AC and Bluetooth, White, Bonus 128GB SnowBell USB Card.
9. Apple MacBook Air Laptop
- All-Day Battery Life – Go longer than ever with up to 18 hours of battery life.
- Powerful Performance – Take on everything from professional-quality editing to action-packed gaming with ease. The Apple M1 chip with an 8-core CPU delivers up to 3.5x faster performance than the previous generation while using way less power.
- Superfast Memory – 8GB of unified memory makes your entire system speedy and responsive. That way it can support tasks like memory-hogging multitab browsing and opening a huge graphic file quickly and easily.
- Stunning Display – With a 13.3” Retina display, images come alive with new levels of realism. Text is sharp and clear, and colors are more vibrant.
- Why Mac – Easy to learn. Easy to set up. Astoundingly powerful. Intuitive. Packed with apps to use right out of the box. Mac is designed to let you work, play, and create like never before.
- Simply Compatible – All your existing apps work, including Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft 365, and Google Drive. Plus you can use your favorite iPhone and iPad apps directly on macOS. Altogether you’ll have access to the biggest collection of apps ever for Mac. All available on the App Store.
- Easy to Learn – If you already have an iPhone, MacBook Air feels familiar from the moment you turn it on. And it works perfectly with all your Apple devices. Use your iPad to extend the workspace of your Mac, answer texts and phone calls directly on your Mac, and more.
- Fanless Design – Your MacBook Air stays cool and runs quietly even while tackling intense workloads.
- AppleCare – Every Mac comes with a one-year limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary technical support. Get AppleCare+ to extend your coverage and reduce the stress and cost of unexpected repairs.
- Environmentally Friendly – MacBook Air is made with a 100% recycled aluminum enclosure and uses less energy for a smaller carbon footprint.
In general, you should look for similar characteristics to what you would look for when choosing a laptop for any other task. A good brand that provides reliability, good materials to make it more durable, and attractive hardware that is more optimized or has what you are looking for to run the editing software in the most agile way possible.
It will also depend on what you want to spend. Not everyone can afford the luxury of investing a lot, nor does it make sense for you to spend a lot of nonsense on a very powerful team if you are not going to take advantage of its resources later. Therefore, before going to see the requirements and models, the question you should ask yourself is what do I need it for? If the answer is to edit video eventually, it is likely that with any more basic and cheaper model you have.
But if you are going to dedicate yourself professionally to video editing, then you can allocate more money to the acquisition. It will be an investment that you will recover over time. Think of it as a work tool that will help you generate profits. Buying a bad tool can make you waste your time in your study or get frustrated. Therefore, if you are a pro, you should not skimp and buy the best equipment for more efficient work.
Once you have decided that, the next thing is to see the minimum, average, and recommended characteristics that your future portable equipment for video editing should have. These characteristics will depend on whether the laptop comes in at a low, medium, or expensive price. Those characteristics are:
It should not be too small to be able to see all the details well. And the resolution must be good, as well as other factors (pixel density, panel technology, refresh rate,…). But generally, you must meet these requirements:
- Minimum configuration : FullHD (1920x1080px)
- Medium configuration : 2560 x 1440
- Recommended configuration: 4K (3840x2160px) or with the possibility of connecting via HDMI to an external 8K screen.
It would be advisable to have a good CPU for running the software smoothly, especially if you are multitasking, and for coding.
- Minimum: 8th Gen Intel Core i5 microprocessor or 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen 5 or higher.
- Medium: an 8th Gen Intel Core i7 or higher, or 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen 7
- Recommended: For the most demanding, you could choose a processor like Intel Xeon, Core i9, AMD Ryzen 9 or AMD ThreadRipper, or AMD EPYC in MP configurations. However, this on laptops is impossible, you should go to a workstation setup.
Main memory also matters for faster execution and for all the number of operations that are performed during editing or post-editing.
- Minimum: 8GB or 16GB would be fine. If you find an 8GB laptop, and it has free slots, you can expand it later. But you have to make sure it has free slots and it is not a soldered RAM.
- Medium: 32GB would be nice.
- Recommended: for the most demanding, 64 GB would be ideal.
This is quite personal, as not everyone needs the same thing. But if you dedicate yourself to editing long-term videos, the space occupied will be quite a lot, especially if you accumulate a lot of them in your library. But you can always use an external medium.
- Minimum: 256 GB SSD.
- Medium: 256 GB NVMe PCIe, and if you have the possibility to install two, much better.
- Recommended: 1TB NVMe PCIe would be fine and with RAID-0 configuration possible.
It may seem like you need a large graphics card to edit video, but this task will be more CPU-dependent than graphics. However, a good graph helps in some specific tasks like rendering.
- Minimal: with some of the integrated ones from Intel or AMD (better) it will be enough.
- Medium: a discreet one would be fine, like some NVIDIA GeForce MX250 or similar.
- Recommended: with more powerful graphics cards such as dedicated NVIDIA GeForce or AMD Radeon GPUs.
Leave a Reply