To play the latest generation video games, many users prefer to focus on traditional desktop PCs, where it is possible to personally choose the internal components and the video card on which to focus to get the most out of each game.
Laptops dedicated to work or study rarely have the performance to be able to withstand the latest generation games, since they are designed to respond to other characteristics (very low weight, total silence, and long-lasting battery), so special gaming laptops were born.
In this article, you will find our selection of the best gaming laptops under 500 USD of 2023 chosen from the most powerful and innovative models available on the market, created to satisfy even the most demanding gamers.
As a rule, gaming laptops are extreme in weight, size, and consumption, but in our ranking, we have also included more versatile models that are better suited to a mixed-use game/study/work. If we want to play our favorite video games when we are away from home and cannot access the desktop computer, it is possible to consider purchasing a gaming laptop.
These laptops can replace any computer in an excellent way for other activities: we can use them to study, to make video calls or to open very heavy programs (just think of CAD programs, photo editing programs or video editing programs), which they hardly get the power they need from laptops labeled ultrathin.
If, on the other hand, you are looking for a laptop to play but don’t want to give up the compactness factor, we recommend that you take a look at our guide dedicated to the best gaming laptops
Also Read: Best Laptop For Planet Zoo
Best Gaming Laptop Under $ 500
Table of Contents
In the list, you will find models that have the latest generation motherboards and SSDs. Inside you can find Intel Comet Lake refresh CPUs
Today it is no longer necessary to opt for a gaming PC to obtain valid performance, as some of the best laptops in our ranking can easily replace them, also offering a good mix of components, appearance, and size.
Among the models present in the ranking, some are characterized by a purely “game” design, while other models, albeit very powerful, retain a sober appearance that makes them excellent also for the workplace or for mixed-use.
In the following guide, you can find a complete overview of the best gaming laptop models under the budget of 500 Dollars, so you can play at any time of the day even when the desktop computer in the room or bedroom is busy and we need to complete the multiplayer gaming session. with friends or a particularly demanding job from the point of view of hardware resources.
Also Read: Best Gaming laptop Under $ 1000
Best Gaming Laptop Under 500 USD | Comparison Table 2023
|2021 Acer Aspire 1 15.6" FHD Laptop Computer, Intel Celeron N4020 Processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, 1 Year Office 365, Intel UHD Graphics 600, Webcam, HDMI, Win 10 S, Black, 128GB SnowBell USB Card||Acer||Check Price|
|Newest_Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14 inch FHD Touch Convertible 2 in 1 Laptop PC, AMD Ryzen 3 4300U (Beat Intel Core i3-8145U), 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Webcam, WiFi, Bluetooth, 1-Week Shoxlab Support, Win10 S||SHOXLAB||Check Price|
|Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 15.6" Laptop, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) Display, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H Processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD Storage, Windows 10H, 82K20015US, Shadow Black||Lenovo||Check Price|
|HP 14 Laptop, AMD Ryzen 5 5500U, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD Storage, 14-inch Full HD Display, Windows 10 Home, Thin & Portable, Micro-Edge & Anti-Glare Screen, Long Battery Life (14-fq1021nr, 2021)||HP||Check Price|
|DERE Laptop with Fingerprint Reader 15.6" Laptop Computer with Full-Size Backlit Keyboard Intel Celeron N5095 Processor 12GB DDR4+256GB SSD, 1920x1080 FHD Windows 10, 5G WiFi, USB 3.0 MBook M11 Red||DERE||Check Price|
|Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14" Laptop, 14.0" FHD 1920 x 1080 Display, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, Narrow Bezel, Windows 10, 81W0003QUS, Abyss Blue||Lenovo||Check Price|
|2021 Newest HP Stream 14-inch HD Laptop, Intel N4020 up to 2.8 G, 4G RAM, 128G Space(64G eMMC+64G NorthTech SD), WiFi, Webcam, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 10 S, Office 365 Personal 1 Year, Indigo Blue||HP||Check Price|
|Newest Flagship ASUS VivoBook E12, 11.6" HD (1366 x 768), Intel Celeron N3060, 4 GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC, Intel HD Graphics 500, Windows 10 Home in S Mode, L203NADS04, with KWALICABLE Accessory Bundle||ASUS||Check Price|
|2020 ASUS VivoBook 15 15.6 Inch FHD 1080P Laptop (AMD Ryzen 3 3200U up to 3.5GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon Vega 3, Backlit Keyboard, FP Reader, WiFi, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 10) (Grey)||ASUS||Check Price|
Best Gaming Laptop Under $ 500 | 2023 Products Overview
The 2021 Acer Aspire 1 15.6″ FHD Laptop is a budget-friendly and efficient computer designed for basic everyday tasks. It comes with a 15.6-inch full-HD display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and an anti-glare energy-efficient LED screen that boasts impressive color and clarity. The laptop is powered by an Intel Celeron N4020 processor, a dual-core, ultra-low-voltage platform that provides maximum high-efficiency power to go.
It features 4GB DDR4 RAM and 64GB eMMC flash memory, which is ideal for mobile devices and applications, providing enhanced storage capabilities, streamlined data management, quick boot-up times and support for high-definition video playback. The laptop has a standard keyboard that allows for comfortable and accurate typing. The graphics of the laptop are handled by Intel UHD Graphics 600 with shared video memory, providing solid image quality for internet use, movies, basic photo editing and casual gaming.
The laptop comes with a built-in camera with digital microphone and HD audio with two stereo speakers. It runs on Windows 10 Home in S Mode and has a lithium-ion battery that provides up to 10 hours of battery life. The laptop is lightweight and portable with dimensions of 14.31″ x 9.86″ x 0.78″ and weighs 4.19 lbs. It has 2 USB 2.0 ports, 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port, 1 HDMI output, a headphone/microphone combo jack, and an RJ-45 port for wireless-AC and Bluetooth connectivity.
Additionally, the laptop comes with a bonus 128GB SnowBell USB card. The product is designed for use in the US, but it may require an adapter or converter for use in other destinations as outlets and voltage may differ internationally. The product comes with a 1-year Office 365 subscription.
The SHOXLAB NewLenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14 inch FHD Touch Convertible 2 in 1 Laptop PC is a high-performance laptop that combines versatility and portability. It is powered by an AMD Ryzen 3 4300U Quad Core Processor and an integrated AMD Radeon Graphics for smooth and efficient performance. The laptop features a 14.0" FHD IPS Touch Display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution that provides impressive color and clarity. This makes it an ideal device for gaming and watching HD movies.
The laptop comes with 4GB DDR4 3200MHz OnBoard RAM and a 256GB 2242 m.2 NVMe SSD storage which provides ample space to store your files, documents, and media. The device is equipped with a 720P camera with a privacy shutter and dual array microphones that make it ideal for video conferencing. Additionally, it has 2 x 2 802.11AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity options.
The laptop comes with Windows 10 in S Mode, but it is easy to switch to regular Windows 10. It is also Google Classroom compatible and is perfect for students, small businesses, and those who want a laptop that is both versatile and efficient. The laptop is lightweight and compact, making it easy to carry around.
In conclusion, the SHOXLAB NewLenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14 inch FHD Touch Convertible 2 in 1 Laptop PC is a high-quality and affordable laptop that is ideal for both work and entertainment. It provides users with a smooth and efficient performance and a 14 inch touch display that makes it ideal for streaming and gaming.
The Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 Laptop is a top-performing laptop designed for gamers. It is powered by the revolutionary AMD Ryzen 5000 H-Series mobile processor, which provides 6 ultra-responsive cores and sets a new standard for gaming performance in innovative, thin, and light laptops. With a 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS display, you'll be able to enjoy supercharged visuals for your favorite games. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GPU and 120Hz refresh rate work together to deliver slingshot gaming visuals with no tearing.
The laptop comes with 8GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM memory and a 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD storage, making it fast and efficient for everyday use. It also has plenty of connectivity options, including RJ45 Ethernet, 2x2 WiFi 802.11 ax, Bluetooth 5.0, a 720p HD webcam, a microphone array with privacy shutter, HDMI, and USB-C. The laptop is equipped with 2 x 2W speakers with Nahimic Audio for Gamers and a spacious gaming keyboard with white backlight.
In conclusion, the Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 Laptop is a high-performance laptop designed to provide users with a seamless gaming experience. Its advanced features and powerful hardware make it an excellent choice for gamers and anyone who wants a fast, reliable laptop. However, it is important to note that products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US, and may require an adapter or converter for use in other countries.
Also Read: Best Laptop For Gaming
The HP 14-inch Laptop (model 14-fq1021nr) is a versatile and portable device that is designed to keep you productive and entertained from anywhere. It features a full HD display that delivers crystal-clear visuals and vibrant image quality in 1080p. The micro-edge bezel and anti-glare screen allow you to see more from any angle, making it easy to work and play. The device is powered by the AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Mobile Processor and AMD Radeon Graphics, providing supreme performance for all your computing needs.
With 8 GB of RAM, you can expect higher bandwidth that will boost your performance and make multitasking a breeze. The laptop also features 256 GB of PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD storage, providing fast and reliable storage for all your photos, videos, and documents. This type of storage is up to 15x faster than a traditional hard drive, giving you the speed you need to get things done.
Stay connected with the HP 14-inch Laptop, as it offers up to 9 hours and 45 minutes of battery life, making it easy to work all day without worrying about charging. If you do need to recharge, HP Fast Charge Technology can take your device from 0 to 50% charge in just 45 minutes. The laptop runs on Windows 10 Home, a familiar and user-friendly operating system, and is backed by an HP 1-year limited hardware warranty for added peace of mind.
In terms of connectivity, the HP 14-inch Laptop comes with Wi-Fi 6 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0, providing faster file transfer speeds and a smoother wireless experience. The laptop is also designed to be effortlessly connected, making it easy to share and transfer data.
In conclusion, the HP 14-inch Laptop is a powerful and portable device that is designed to keep you productive and entertained from anywhere. With its full HD display, powerful processor, and ample storage, it is an excellent choice for anyone who needs a versatile and reliable laptop for work or play. Just keep in mind that products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US, and you may need an adapter or converter for use in other countries.
The DERE Laptop with Fingerprint Unlock is a 15.6" computer with a full-size backlit keyboard, Intel Celeron N5095 processor, 12GB DDR4 RAM, and 256GB SSD storage. It runs on Windows 10 and features integrated graphics with Intel UHD Graphics. The laptop has a full metal body made of magnesium aluminum alloy, making it durable and light weight at 2.64 lbs. and 0.3 inches thin.
One of the standout features of the MBook M11 is its convenient fingerprint reader, allowing for quick and secure unlocking in just 0.5 seconds. This eliminates the need for entering a password and helps protect personal privacy and information security. The laptop also has a full-size backlit keyboard, making it easy to use in any lighting environment. The backlight can be turned on by pressing the Fn + F10 keys simultaneously.
The Celeron N5095 Processor and Intel UHD Graphics provide powerful and efficient performance, with low power consumption to ensure smooth operation and reduce energy consumption during use. The laptop also has 12GB DDR4 RAM to eliminate lag and provide fast operation, as well as 256GB SSD storage for ample space to store videos, pictures, and more.
Please note that this product is designed for use in the US with electrical plugs and may require an adapter or converter for use in other countries, as outlets and voltage can differ internationally. It is important to check compatibility before purchasing.
In conclusion, the DERE Laptop with Fingerprint Unlock is a highly secure and efficient laptop with a full-size backlit keyboard, powerful processor, and ample storage. Its full metal body and fingerprint reader make it a durable and convenient option for both personal and professional use.
The Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14" Laptop is a highly rated and popular choice for those in need of a reliable and efficient laptop for everyday use. The laptop features a 14-inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) display with narrow bezels, providing a clear and spacious viewing experience. The laptop is powered by the AMD Ryzen 5 3500U processor, which delivers powerful performance for everyday tasks.
In terms of memory and storage, the laptop comes in several options ranging from 8GB DDR4 RAM and 256GB SSD to 20GB RAM and 2TB SSD, with prices starting at $548.88. This allows you to choose the configuration that best fits your needs and budget. Additionally, the laptop features AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, which provide smooth and seamless visuals.
The laptop runs on Windows 10 and features Bluetooth 4.1 and up to 2x2 Wi-Fi 5 for easy connectivity. It also has three USB ports and an HDMI port, giving you ample options for connecting to external devices. To ensure privacy, the laptop also has a physical shutter for the webcam, allowing you to have privacy right at your fingertips.
In terms of sound quality, the laptop is equipped with Dopoundsy Audio, which delivers crystal-clear sound for an immersive multimedia experience. Additionally, the laptop has Quick and Quiet with Q-control, which allows you to effortlessly switch between fast and powerful performance and quiet battery-saving mode.
Also Read:Best Laptops For League Of Legends
The HP Stream 14-inch laptop is a versatile and budget-friendly device that comes in an Indigo Blue color. It is equipped with an Intel Celeron N4020 Dual-Core Processor, which has a base frequency of 1.1 GHz and a burst frequency of up to 2.8 GHz. The laptop comes with 4 GB of DDR4 Memory, which is ample for basic computing tasks and everyday use. The storage capacity of the laptop is comprised of 64 GB eMMC and an ADATA 64 GB microSDXC card, providing a total of 192 GB of storage. The laptop has an HD SVA bright view WLED-backlit display with a resolution of 1366 x 768. The battery life of the device is impressive, with up to 14 hours and 15 minutes of video playback and up to 11 hours and 30 minutes of wireless streaming.
The HP Stream 14-inch laptop also comes with 1-Year Microsoft 365, which provides full access to Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, and 1 TB of One Drive storage. The laptop has built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, and a webcam for easy connectivity and communication. It also has an HDMI port for external displays, making it easy to expand your workspace. The laptop runs on Windows 10 S and has a card description of integrated.
In conclusion, the HP Stream 14-inch laptop is an excellent choice for those who are looking for a budget-friendly device that can handle basic computing tasks, provide ample storage, and have good battery life. The laptop's compact size and lightweight design make it easy to carry around, making it a great option for those who are always on the go. However, it is important to note that products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US and may require an adapter or converter for use in other countries.
The ASUS E410 is a compact and lightweight 14-inch laptop that is designed for those who are always on the move. This laptop is powered by the latest Intel Pentium N4020 processor and provides up to 10 hours of battery life, making it ideal for people who need a laptop that can keep up with their busy lifestyle. The laptop comes pre-loaded with Windows 10 Home in S Mode, which offers full compatibility with a wide range of software and peripherals. The KWALICABLE Bundle that comes with the laptop includes a 32GB Micro SD Card and a Microfiber Cleaning Cloth.
The 14-inch display of the ASUS E410 features typical 1366 x 768 HD resolution with an energy-efficient WLED backlight. The graphics are powered by the Intel HD Graphics 500 which provides everyday image quality for internet use, basic photo editing, and casual gaming. The laptop comes with 4GB of system memory, which is sufficient for basic multitasking, allowing you to run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once.
The ASUS E410 also features 64GB eMMC flash memory, which is an ultracompact memory system that is ideal for mobile devices and applications. This memory system provides enhanced storage capabilities, streamlined data management, quick boot-up times, and support for high-definition video playback. The laptop is black in color and has a modern, sleek design that makes it look great in any setting.
In conclusion, the ASUS E410 is a laptop that is designed to help you be productive all day, whether you’re at home or on the go. With its powerful processor, long battery life, and compact design, it is the perfect laptop for people who need a computer that is both practical and stylish. However, please note that the product is designed for use in the US and may require an adapter or converter for use in other countries.
The ASUS 2020 VivoBook 15 is a 15.6-inch laptop with a Full HD 1080P display and a four-sided wider NanoEdge bezel. It is powered by an AMD Ryzen 3 3200U processor with a base frequency of 2.6 GHz and can reach speeds up to 3.5 GHz with 2 cores and 1MB cache. The laptop is equipped with an AMD Radeon Vega 3 graphics coprocessor for smooth and efficient performance. The RAM has been upgraded to 16GB DDR4 memory to handle multitasking and running multiple applications and browser tabs all at once. The storage capacity of the laptop has also been increased to 256GB SSD, providing ample space for large files and digital data.
The laptop features a number of connectivity options, including 1 x COMBO audio jack, 1 x Type-A USB 3.0, 1 x Type-C USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0 ports, and 1 x HDMI. The backlit keyboard and fingerprint reader provide added convenience and security. The laptop comes with WiFi and Bluetooth capabilities, allowing you to connect to the internet and other devices wirelessly.
The ASUS 2020 VivoBook 15 runs on Windows 10 Home, which brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features such as the Edge Web browser. The laptop also comes with a 1-Year UpgradePro Limited warranty for added peace of mind.
Please note that the product is designed for use in the US and may require an adapter or converter for use in other countries due to differences in outlets and voltage. It is important to check compatibility before purchasing.
In conclusion, the ASUS 2020 VivoBook 15 is a powerful and efficient laptop that is perfect for business, students, and daily use. With its upgraded RAM and storage, large display, and advanced features, this laptop is a great investment for anyone who needs a reliable and versatile computing device.
Also Read: Best Laptops for Playing Roblox
Best Gaming Laptop Under $ 500 | 2023 Products Overview And Guide
Laptops intended for gaming have decidedly different characteristics compared to laptops intended for other uses: first of all, they almost never have a design devoted to aesthetics (they are not ugly, but they do not have the sinuous lines of ultra-light laptops or MacBooks) and this is also due to the high power they must release: since the processors and video chips integrated inside require space and a much more powerful ventilation system (to avoid dangerous overheating).
Among the outstanding features stand out a very powerful processor (with automatic overclocking), a video chip derived from a discrete video card (with dedicated video memory), a considerable amount of RAM (always greater than 8 GB), a FullHD screen with anti-glare technology and enhanced refresh rate, an SSD or an M.2 fast as storage space, dedicated cooling system (with copper heatsinks and larger fans) and Dual-Band Wi-Fi connection (with support for the new Wi-Fi protocol -Fi 6, which guarantees greater performance).
Other minor features of these laptops are the presence of an HD webcam, a built-in microphone, an HDMI socket, a DisplayPort output, a backlit keyboard, an ultra-sensitive touchpad, numerous USB 3.1 ports (also Type-C), a Bluetooth connection module. and battery with a minimum autonomy of 5 hours. The minor features are not always available on all laptops, but if they are present they represent a plus that does not hurt, especially if it concerns expandability (always very limited on laptops).
Obviously, when we focus on these laptop models we must forget some of the comforts we were used to with traditional laptops: the weight of these models is in fact much higher (even over 2 kg), making them unwieldy during transport; the general noise is much higher, given that the processor and the video chip work at high frequencies (similar to those seen on desktop PCs) and the fan is heard much more often to keep the "hot spirits" of all internal components.
On all computers there is Windows 10 as an operating system: it can be upgraded to Windows 11 without problems since the new generation laptops fully comply with the technical characteristics required by Microsoft to carry out the update.
Also Read: Best Laptop For Modded Minecraft
Choosing the best laptop for gaming: main features
- Screen. Size, resolution, and refresh rate are all things that can impact your gaming experience. Do you want to prioritize a high resolution or high refresh rate screen, or are you planning to use an external monitor?
- CPU and GPU. Compare component specifications such as a number of cores and clock speed, and check out the benchmarks for a quick comparison between the different product lines.
- Memory and storage. Recognize the difference between SSD and HDD and decide how much RAM you need based on how you plan to use your system.
- Design. Lighter laptops allow for better travel, but more powerful hardware may be a priority when playing demanding games at home.
- Doors and entrances. Plan the number of devices you plan to use, including those dedicated to external storage and audio. Do you need more flexibility, more space or extra high-speed ports?
Let's take a closer look at the features you'll encounter when choosing a gaming laptop, starting with the first thing you see when you open it: the screen.
The right display can have a major impact on your gaming experience, but there are several factors to keep in mind besides screen size.
Laptop display: main features
- Resolution. The higher the resolution, the more pixels that can be displayed on the screen, resulting in a clearer image. Newer laptop PCs may have 1440p or 4K displays compared to standard 1080p, but the hardware required to support games at these resolutions may incur a higher cost.
- Refresh rate. A display with a higher refresh rate can contribute to a smoother and easier-to-follow screen image. This is achieved by playing the image several times per second. Many gaming laptop displays make use of this technology and some boast refresh rates of 120Hz or 144Hz (or even higher).
- Screen size. The form factor and display size of laptops can vary, and 13, 15, and 17-inch displays are the most popular configurations. Thinner bezels (the edges of the screen) can help provide larger screens with smaller form factors.
- OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode). Available on some gaming laptops, these screens use pixels that produce their own light rather than relying on the backlight. This means they can achieve deeper black levels and higher contrast than most laptop screens, often LED-lit liquid crystal displays.
An easy way to enhance a laptop PC experience is to connect it to an external monitor. This allows you to have a portable PC with a portable form factor to use on the go and then go home and use a screen with a resolution of 4K, a refresh rate of 240 Hz, or an ultra-wide aspect ratio.
When thinking about an external display with a high resolution or a high refresh rate, be sure to choose a CPU and graphics card that can take advantage of these features. Compare the components of the laptop you are thinking about with those recommended for the video games you want to play and prioritize the choice of components based on those factors.
The CPU, or central processing unit, acts as the "brain" of your laptop. It sends signals to the other components of the system and processes the instructions sent by the entire software running on your machine.
Your choice of CPU can have a significant impact on everything you do, from the frame rates you see in video games to application response times and even the battery life of your laptop.
Among the most commonly cited CPU specs are the number of cores and clock speed, however, there are several other features that come into play, including its overclocking potential 3. The CPU features most important to you vary based on how you will use your laptop, so it's worth knowing the basics.
CPU: main features
- Clock speed. Clock speed determines the number of cycles a CPU performs per second (measured in GHz). In general, a higher clock speed results in a faster CPU, but many other factors come into play.
- A number of cores. Multiple cores facilitate CPU multitasking, and each core acts as a single processing unit that can operate in parallel for greater results.
- CPU options. There are CPUs specially designed for almost any use case, so it's worth stalling and picking the one that best suits the way you're going to use your system. If you are looking for higher core counts and higher clock speeds, the Intel® Core ™ H processor family may be the ideal solution. Unlocked CPUs. If you're prioritizing portability, power-efficient CPUs like the U-series can help preserve battery life.
A laptop PC GPU, or Graphics Processing Unit, generates the pixels that form the images on the screen while gaming. Combined with the CPU, it is the key to enjoying smooth frame rates and a high-resolution gaming experience.
If you're going to play in 1440p or 4K, you need a CPU and GPU to match. Higher resolutions result in more pixels on the screen - running a game at 4K resolution, for example, consumes four times more pixels than the standard 1080p.
GPU: main features
- Frame rate and resolution. Make sure your gaming laptop's GPU and CPU can achieve consistent frame rates when rendering the correct screen resolution or external display. To get an idea of the execution performance, compare the CPU and GPU in the laptop you are thinking about with the system requirements of the video games you plan to play.
- Display update rate. If you've invested in a 144Hz screen, you'll need a GPU capable of achieving a consistent 144 FPS (or higher) to make the most of the higher refresh rate.
- Raytracing. If you're planning on enabling hardware-intensive rendering techniques, such as raytracing, check out the benchmarks to assess how they will affect performance in advance.
Solid-state drives (SSDs) outperform older mechanical drives (HDDs) in most areas that impact gaming. SSDs use a type of flash memory (NAND) to electronically read and write blocks of data with no moving parts. HDDs, on the other hand, use mechanical platters that rotate by a motor, accessible via a movable disk head.
A key advantage of SSDs over HDDs is their fast random read / write speeds, which means they are able to quickly access data stored in different drive locations. They generally allow for faster loading of programs and files than a similarly sized HDD and can help reduce system startup times.
Since SSDs use no moving parts and have processes to even out wear across memory blocks, they also enjoy a longer life than traditional HDDs.
Generally speaking, SSDs cost more per gigabyte than a similarly sized HDD due to higher manufacturing costs. For this reason, some systems have both SSDs and high-capacity HDDs for storing large files, although, increasingly, modern laptops rely solely on SSDs.
Random Access Memory, or RAM, is a memory that stores data temporarily for quick retrieval via the CPU. Unlike an SSD or HDD, it does not store data permanently and recovers with every power failure, but it also makes data available faster than a storage drive.
The additional RAM allows a PC to run multiple processes at the same time and allows a system to switch between programs more quickly while managing the execution of services in the background.
The amount of RAM you need in your laptop depends on how you plan to use the system.
- 2 to 4GB of RAM can be enough to browse the Internet, use light business applications, or older games.
- 8GB of RAM may be enough for mid-range gaming and most business applications. Many modern PC games indicate 8GB of RAM or more as the minimum system requirement.
- 16GB of RAM allows a system to run newer and more resource-intensive video games at higher settings, handle various background applications (such as voice chat or recording video highlights), and streaming software.
- 32GB of RAM is the ideal amount for resource-intensive multitasking, including gaming, content creation, and anyone who frequently uses memory-intensive processes, such as video editing or rendering.
While the amount of RAM available in the system is probably the most important metric for the average user, there are other characteristics of RAM that are worth keeping in mind.
RAM: main features :
- Speed. Measured in MHz (or millions of cycles per second), RAM frequency measures the speed at which your RAM can access memory when it receives a request from the CPU.
- Possibility of upgrade. Some gaming laptop models allow access to the internal SO-DIMM slots in which RAM is installed. This is still quite unusual, so consider the amount of RAM you need for your favorite experience. Adding it later can be cumbersome.
- SO-DIMM. Note that laptop and desktop RAM are not interchangeable. Laptop RAM is often smaller, has a different contact configuration, and fits SO-DIMM (Small Outline Dual In-line Memory Module) slots rather than the DIMM slots you'll find on most desktop motherboards.
Gaming laptops come in many different shapes and sizes. Entry-level options can help balance portability and performance, while more powerful gaming laptops generally take up more space. In recent years, however, this compromise has become less rigid. Premium laptops with advanced thermal models can remain relatively thin and light and use high-performance components.
When thinking about a laptop model, consider a trade-off between power, price, portability, available ports, and extra features that can optimize performance.
Design: main features
- Build quality. An aluminum case can allow for thinner and stronger models than traditional plastic ones.
- Frames. Opt for a thin display bezel to reduce the overall size of the device. By reducing the size of the screen edges, manufacturers are able to reduce the size of a laptop PC while preserving the screen size.
- Weight. A thinner and lighter design results in greater portability. However, thicker and heavier gaming laptop PCs, also known as "muscle books," often include features that are advantageous for a fixed home setup, such as more input and output (I / O) options. or particularly powerful cooling solutions.
- Aesthetics. Premium laptops may have a satin metal finish, user-controlled RGB lighting, and other eye-catching design features that are worth considering.
- Extra luxury factors. While less popular, high-end gaming laptops can include smaller screens, ultrawide aspect ratios, overclockable designs, upgradeable hardware, or even keyboards with mechanical switches.
- Wireless connectivity. Most portable PCs incorporate wireless cards that allow connection to hotspots and home routers in the 2 GHz or 5 GHz band. To access super-fast internet speeds, look for WiFi 6 ready components. Common wireless to consider is Bluetooth, which uses the 2 GHz band to connect with peripherals such as headphones or control units to a system.
More ports mean more options for expanding the functionality of a laptop. Some gaming laptops may reduce the number of available ports in order to achieve a smaller form factor, so consider this tradeoff when making a comparison.
Also Read: Best Gaming Laptops Under 900 Dollars
Ports for laptop: main features
- Screen. Connect external monitors or HDTVs via these ports, including HDMI and DisplayPort.
- Thunderbolt ™ 3 technology. This versatile connection technology can transmit video and audio information to monitors using the DisplayPort standard. It can also transfer data at four times the speed of a USB 3.1 port and even the power supply. This connection can be particularly useful for multiple monitor configurations or for transferring large amounts of data to external drives. Not all laptops support Thunderbolt ™ 3 technology, so check back if you want to take advantage of it.
- USB. The USB ports can be used to connect mice, headphones, external physical drives, and many other peripherals. Revision numbers such as 2.0, 3.0, or 3.1 reflect the data transfer rate of the port, while ratings such as "Type-A" and "Type-C" refer to the shape of the connector.
- Audio. Most laptops have a 3.5mm headphone jack, as well as USB ports for compatible headphones and speakers.
- Ethernet. An RJ-45 Ethernet jack can provide a fast and stable connection for your system and can be a great alternative to Wi-Fi when at home. If your laptop does not have an Ethernet port, you can use a USB to Ethernet adapter.
- SD. An SD card slot allows you to conveniently expand your SDXC card storage and offers fast data transfer between devices that support this form factor. It can be particularly useful in areas that require the frequent transfer of multimedia files, such as photography and videography.
If the laptop you want has a limited number of ports, consider using a multiport USB hub or docking station. If you're having trouble connecting a mouse, headphones, webcam, external hard drive, or other peripheral to a slim laptop that only has two USB ports, these options can provide new connectivity possibilities.
For more ideas on how to build a laptop-centric gaming station, check out our Guide to Setting Up a State-of-the-Art Laptop.
The improvements made to the cooling system have allowed laptop manufacturers to disprove the old stereotype of thick and bulky gaming laptops. Today, some of the most powerful systems on the market are slim laptops with meticulously designed cooling systems.
Although their internal activities are complex, the core components of cooling systems in mobile PCs are still largely made up of air vents, fans, cooling pipes, and heatsinks. That said, tremendous progress has been made in the way these cooling tools are designed and implemented and this allows for the smallest form factors we see in modern gaming laptops.
Comparing one cooling system to another can be difficult judging by the manufacturer's description alone, so it is useful to check reviews in order to learn about real-world performance and find out how it might be related to user needs.
By taking full advantage of the input and output options of a laptop PC, you can achieve a gaming experience similar to that of a home desktop PC. Connect a gaming mouse, more responsive keyboard, or premium audio to create a fully functional gaming station with a laptop in the center.
Inputs for laptop: main features
- Mechanical keyboard. While most gaming laptops don't use mechanical switches, you can conveniently connect an external keyboard via USB to enjoy a full-sized keyboard setup with the switches and aesthetics of your choice.
- Gaming mouse. Touchpads for laptops have made a lot of progress and are specifically designed for comfortable everyday use. However, when gaming it may be preferable to connect a mouse with additional input options for more precise and customizable movement.
- Headphones and audio. By providing a built-in microphone and adjustable balance between game audio and voice chat, a gaming headset can be very useful for modern multiplayer games. Many headphones are equipped with audio in both stereo and digital surround configurations. They usually connect via a USB, Bluetooth, or 3.5mm audio jack.
- Loudspeakers. Upgrade from your laptop's built-in speakers and create a full-bodied sound scene with desktop speakers or a SoundBar. Connect traditional speakers via USB or audio cable, or use a lightweight Bluetooth speaker or SoundBar for a more immersive audio experience.
Which Laptop PC Is Right For You
When choosing a laptop, what matters most is how you intend to use it.
If you're going to play games on an external monitor, it might make sense to prioritize the CPU and GPU rather than a feature-rich integrated display. If you're into video editing or content creation, 32GB of RAM, a solid CPU, and a high-resolution display may be more important than the newer GPU architecture.
It's not just about comparing the components of a gaming laptop or form factor to another - it's about identifying the features you value most and finding the machine with everything you need.
Is a Core i5 processor good for gaming?
Yes, a Core i5 processor can be good for gaming, depending on the specific model and other components in the system. Generally speaking, newer i5 processors (such as those from the 9th or 10th generation) should provide good gaming performance for most modern games, especially when paired with a dedicated graphics card.
However, it's important to note that gaming performance also depends on other components such as the graphics card, RAM, and storage. So, while a Core i5 processor may be good for gaming, it's important to ensure that the other components in your system are also up to par to get the best gaming performance possible.
An I run GTA V on Acer Aspire 5?
It depends on the specific model of Acer Aspire 5 and its hardware specifications. GTA V is a demanding game and requires a relatively powerful system to run smoothly.
To run GTA V on Acer Aspire 5, you should check the minimum system requirements for the game and compare them with the specifications of your Acer Aspire 5. The minimum system requirements for GTA V are:
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
- Storage: 72 GB available space
If your Acer Aspire 5 meets or exceeds these requirements, then you should be able to run GTA V on it. However, if your Acer Aspire 5 does not meet the minimum system requirements, then you may experience performance issues or the game may not run at all.
Which is the No 1 gaming PC in the world?
There is no single "No 1 gaming PC in the world" as there are many different high-end gaming PCs that offer excellent performance and features. The best gaming PC for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences, as well as your budget.
Some of the top gaming PC brands include:
- Alienware - known for its high-performance gaming PCs and laptops.
- ASUS ROG (Republic of Gamers) - known for its high-end gaming laptops and desktops.
- HP Omen - known for its gaming laptops and desktops that offer high-end performance.
- MSI - known for its gaming laptops and desktops that offer excellent performance and high-quality components.
- Origin PC - known for its custom-built gaming PCs that offer high-end performance and customization options.
Is GTX 1650 good for gaming?
Yes, the Nvidia GTX 1650 graphics card is good for gaming, particularly for 1080p gaming at medium to high settings in most games. The GTX 1650 is an entry-level graphics card that offers decent performance for its price range and is suitable for gamers who are on a budget or are looking to build a budget gaming PC.
The GTX 1650 is based on Nvidia's Turing architecture and features 4GB of GDDR5 memory, 896 CUDA cores, and a base clock speed of 1485 MHz. It also supports Nvidia's latest features such as G-Sync, Ansel, and GameStream.
While the GTX 1650 may not offer the same level of performance as higher-end graphics cards such as the RTX 3060 or 3070, it is still capable of running most modern games at respectable frame rates and settings. It's important to note, however, that the performance of the GTX 1650 can vary depending on the specific model and the other components in your gaming PC.
What are budget gaming laptops?
Budget gaming laptops are laptops that offer good gaming performance at an affordable price point. While gaming laptops are generally more expensive than regular laptops due to their specialized components, budget gaming laptops offer an option for gamers who don't want to spend a lot of money on a gaming rig.
Some of the best budget gaming laptops on the market today include:
- Acer Nitro 5 - offers good performance for its price and has a solid build quality.
- ASUS TUF Gaming FX505 - offers excellent performance and a durable build quality.
- Lenovo Legion 5 - offers good performance and a sleek design.
- HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - offers good performance and a stylish design.
- Dell G3 15 - offers good performance and a budget-friendly price.
When shopping for a budget gaming laptop, it's important to consider the specific components and specifications of the laptop to ensure that it will provide the performance you need for the games you want to play. Some key factors to consider include the graphics card, processor, RAM, storage, and display quality.
Is Acer Aspire 5 a gaming laptop?
The Acer Aspire 5 is not specifically designed as a gaming laptop, but some models may be able to run some games with moderate settings and frame rates. The Acer Aspire 5 is a mid-range laptop that is designed for everyday use and productivity, rather than for high-end gaming.
The specific gaming performance of the Acer Aspire 5 will depend on the model and its specifications. Some models of the Acer Aspire 5 come with dedicated graphics cards, such as the Nvidia GeForce MX150 or MX250, which can provide decent gaming performance for less demanding games. However, these graphics cards are not designed for high-end gaming and may struggle with more demanding games or graphics-intensive applications.
If you are looking for a laptop specifically for gaming, there are other laptops on the market that are designed with gaming in mind, and that offer higher-end graphics cards and other specialized components.
Which is No 1 gaming laptop?
There is no single "No 1 gaming laptop" as there are many high-end gaming laptops that offer excellent performance and features. The best gaming laptop for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences, as well as your budget.
Some of the top gaming laptop brands include:
- ASUS ROG (Republic of Gamers) - known for its high-end gaming laptops that offer excellent performance and features.
- MSI - known for its gaming laptops that offer high-quality components and excellent performance.
- Alienware - known for its high-performance gaming laptops and desktops.
- Razer - known for its gaming laptops that offer high-end performance and sleek designs.
- Acer Predator - known for its gaming laptops that offer a good balance of performance and affordability.
Can a $500 laptop run games?
Yes, it is possible for a $500 laptop to run games, but the level of performance will depend on the specific components and specifications of the laptop.
In general, budget laptops may have lower-end graphics cards or integrated graphics, which may not be suitable for running demanding games at high settings or frame rates. However, some budget laptops may be able to run less demanding games at lower settings and frame rates.
To find a budget laptop that is capable of running games, it's important to consider the specific components and specifications of the laptop. Some key factors to consider include the graphics card, processor, RAM, storage, and display quality.
There are several budget laptops on the market that are designed for gaming or that offer decent gaming performance for their price range. However, it's important to manage expectations and to understand that a budget laptop may not be able to run all games at the highest settings or frame rates.