Buying a laptop seems easy, but when it comes to carriers, it’s not. If you have to buy a laptop for industrial design, you will feel extra pressure. At that time, I realize that pursuing a technology-related career is not so easy. Only one small mistake marks the end of your career.
Whether you’re just starting your dream job as an industrial designer or want to step up, you need to get the best laptop. Otherwise, it will cost you a lot of money in your career.
Best Laptop For Industrial Design
There are hundreds of laptops on the market, but gaming laptops are the best choice for designers. Like gamers, professional designers need amazing displays, backing up GPUs, graphics cards, high-speed processors, and more.
So instead of discussing with vendors, look at the gaming laptop category to find the best laptop for your industrial design.
Best Laptop For Industrial Design | Comparison Table 2021
|Razer Blade Pro 17 Gaming Laptop 2021: Intel Core i7-11800H 8-Core, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 17.3" FHD 360Hz, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD - Chroma RGB - Thunderbolt 3 - SD Card Reader||Razer||Check Price|
|Acer Predator Triton 500 PT515-52-73L3 Gaming Laptop, Intel i7-10750H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, 15.6" FHD NVIDIA G-SYNC Display, 300Hz, 16GB Dual-Channel DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, RGB Backlit KB||Acer||Check Price|
|Alienware - 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 - 512GB SSD + 1TB+8GB Hybrid Hard Drive - Epic Silver||Alienware||Check Price|
|MSI GP66 Leopard 15.6" 144Hz Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD RTX 3070 8GB - 10th Gen i7-10750H Octa-core - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB - 144 Hz Refresh Rate - Up to 5.0 GHz Max SPE||MSI||Check Price|
|ASUS TUF Dash 15 (2021) Ultra Slim Gaming Laptop, 15.6” 144Hz FHD, GeForce RTX 3050 Ti, Intel Core i7-11370H, 8GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, Wi-Fi 6, Windows 10, Eclipse Grey Color, TUF516PE-AB73||ASUS||Check Price|
|CUK Crosshair 15 Gamer Notebook (Intel Core i7, 64GB RAM, 2TB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 4GB, 15.6" FHD 144Hz IPS, Windows 10 Home) 15 Inch Gaming Laptop Computer (Made_by_MSI)||Computer Upgrade King||Check Price|
|Dell G7 15.6" 4K (3840 x 2160) OLED Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB Memory, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070MQ, Windows 10 Home||Dell||Check Price|
|2020 Apple MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Chip (13-inch, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD Storage) - Space Gray||Apple||Check Price|
|AORUS 15G (WB) Performance Gaming Laptop 15.6-inch FHD 240Hz IPS, GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q, 10th Gen Intel i7-10750H, w/ Mechanical Keys, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD (AORUS 15G WB-7US2130MH)||GIGABYTE||Check Price|
Best Laptop For Industrial Design | 2021 Products Overview
Elements to Consider while choosing laptop for industrial design | Unrivaled Guide 2021
There are 5 basic elements that our laptop must have to be the best option for industrial design and for me, they are in the following order:
- Graphics card
– Modeling: To model the 3D program, use only a little graphics card to view the design in 3D. And if the sets of parts we work with are not very large, it is not necessary to spend a lot on the graphics card. Good graphics work well if you are working with a 3D set of 500 pieces or more, such as companies that design industrial machines with multiple pieces.
– Render: To render, what the computer uses is the processor, and when it renders it uses 100% of the processor’s available resources. In other words, the more processor the less it will take to render. So a good, high-performance processor is important. People think that it is the graph that they render, but currently, there are very few programs that use it for this process.
– Retouching and assembly: At the level of other programs that we use in industrial design, they are for example Illustrator or Indesign to assemble the presentations and Photoshop to retouch. If we want to have several programs open in parallel, that’s when we need the RAM, the more RAM, the more fluid the programs open in parallel will go. The day it is time to prepare the presentation, you will be with the 3D program open, rendering, and with the others retouching and mounting the images, apart from the fact that the browser is always open and consumes many resources.
- I7 processor
- 16GB RAM
- 2GB graphics card
- Solid Hard Drive SSD + 128GB
The processor: The processor must be of high performance. Most laptop processors focus on battery consumption and not performance. But how can we differentiate this? We must read the letters at the end of the processor model. There is not a single Intel i7, but there are many options, so we must look next to the processor model for the letters HQ, that is Intel i7-XXXX HQ, and not Intel i7-XXXX U. HQ = high-performance U = energy saving)
– RAM memory: The ideal minimum as of today is 8GB, so we will mark this minimum.
– Hard disk: We will always choose the SSD hard disk option so that reading and writing data does not slow down the computer. There is a very considerable difference between the classic SATA hard drives and the new SSDs.
– Graphics card: A dedicated graphics card, to move 3D pieces better than the graphics cards integrated with the processor.
– Screen: 15.6 inches instead of 13
Finding the best laptop, laptop, notebook, or computer for industrial design is difficult because there is never a single option, so it is better first to know the use that we will give it and, from there, adapt the options available in the market to our budget.
Looking at the top 9+ laptops that are perfect for industrial designers, Razer Blade Pro 17 is great because it provides the right space to organize your work and notebooks to make things. I concluded that it is one of the best laptops for designers.
Acer Predator Triton 500 can be considered as an alternative, as it will be a bit more expensive. With a 17.3-inch screen and a great GPU architecture, it offers an absolute royal road for beginners.