You are a student and you often need to use the computer on the go, for various needs. For this reason, you have thought about buying a laptop, but you don’t know where to turn your gaze, how much to spend and which brand to direct yourself to. In short, you need advice on this and you have well thought of doing an online search to dispel your doubts. Did I guess? Well, then I’d say you’ve come to the right place at the right time!
In today’s guide, in fact, I will explain in detail which are the Best Laptop For Online School. In particular, I will carry out an examination of all the main components found in a laptop (another term by which laptops are defined, that is, laptops), providing you with all the information you need to make your purchase wisely.
In addition, there will be space for my advice on the models to buy, that is, the ones that I think are most valid for a student. On the other hand, I’ve been there too and I know how difficult the choice can be, given the number of models on the market.
Also Read: Best Laptop For Blogging
What do you say? Are you ready to step into the world of student-friendly laptops? In my opinion, yes, since you’ve made it this far and you seem particularly motivated to make your choice. Come on then, all you have to do is take some time for yourself, get comfortable and follow the directions below, which will lead you directly to your goal. That said, there is nothing left for me to do but wish you good reading and good luck with your school career!
Best Laptop For Online School
Table of Contents
Before pointing out what, in my opinion, are the best laptops for Online School, I think it might interest you to learn more about what are the main aspects to consider when buying a laptop. Below you will find all the relevant information
Also Read: Best Laptop For Realtors
Best Laptop For Online School | Comparison Table 2022
|2022 Newest HP Stream 14-inch HD Laptop, White, Intel N4020 up to 2.8 G, 4G RAM, 128G Space(64G eMMC+64G Micro SD), WiFi, Webcam, Bluetooth, Windows 10 S, Office 365 Personal for 1 Year, Allyflex MP
|Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14" Laptop, 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) Display, Intel Core i3-1005G1 Processor, 4GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB M.2 SSD Storage, Integrated Graphics, Windows 10 S, 81WD010QUS, Platinum Grey
|Newest Acer Aspire 5 15.6" FHD Laptop, 10th Gen Intel Core i3-1005G1, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB PCIe SSD, WiFi 6, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 Bundle with GalliumPi Accessories
|Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 13" Laptop, FHD (1920 x 1080) Touch Display, Intel Core i3-10110U Processor, 4GB DDR4 Onboard RAM, 64GB eMMC, Intel Integrated Graphics, Chrome OS, 82B80006UX, Graphite Grey
|Acer Chromebook 314, Intel Celeron N4000, 14" Full HD Display, 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC, Gigabit WiFi, Google Chrome, CB314-1H-C884
|Razer Blade 15 Base Gaming Laptop 2020: Intel Core i7-10750H 6-Core, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q,15.6" 4K OLED,16GB RAM,512GB SSD, CNC Aluminum,Chroma RGB,Thunderbolt 3,Creator Ready, Mercury White
|Newest Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 | Intel i7-11800H | 15.6" FHD 144Hz 3ms IPS | Win 10 H | Killer WiFi 6 | Accessories (32GB RAM | 1TB PCIe SSD)
|LG Gram Laptop 17" Intel 11th Gen i7, 16GB RAM , 1TB NVMe SSD, USB-C Ports Thunderbolt 4, 17" IPS LCD - 3LBS, Alexa Built-in
|2022 Asus TUF Gaming FX505 15.6” FHD 144Hz Laptop Computer, 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H, 32GB RAM, 1TB HDD+ 1TB SSD, Backlit KB, HD Webcam, GeForce GTX 1650 GPU, Win 10, Black, 32GB SnowBell USB Card
The HP 2022 Newest Stream 14-inch HD Laptop is a white-colored laptop that is designed for those who need a compact, lightweight and portable computer for their daily needs. With its 14-inch HD display, it provides clear and vibrant visuals, making it ideal for streaming videos, browsing the web, or working on basic projects. The laptop is powered by an Intel N4020 processor that can clock up to 2.8 GHz and comes with 4 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage space, with 64 GB of eMMC and 64 GB of micro SD. This allows you to store all your important files, documents, and media without worrying about running out of space.
The laptop also comes with built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, and a webcam, making it easy to connect to the internet and video call with friends and family. It runs on Windows 10 S and comes with Office 365 Personal for one year, giving you access to all the productivity tools you need to get your work done. The total USB ports are 2, providing you with ample connectivity options for your external devices.
The laptop is also easy to carry around, weighing just 3.2 pounds, and has a sleek and stylish design that makes it look good wherever you go. The laptop has received a 4.5 out of 5 stars rating, with 269 ratings and 7 answered questions, showing that it is a popular choice among users. However, it is currently unavailable and there is no information on when it will be back in stock.
Please note that products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US and may require an adapter or converter for use in other countries, so it’s important to check compatibility before purchasing.
The Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14 Laptop is a slim and lightweight laptop that comes with an Intel Core i3-1005G1 Processor and 4GB DDR4 RAM. It has a storage capacity of 128GB M.2 SSD and an Integrated Intel UHD Graphics card. The laptop is designed with entertainment in mind and comes with Dolby Audio, ensuring crystal-clear sound quality for all your audio needs, whether you're watching a video, streaming music or video-chatting.
The 14-inch FHD screen on the Lenovo IdeaPad 3 has a narrow bezel on two sides, which results in a clean design and a larger display area. This means that you get to see more and do more on your laptop, without any clutter. In addition to its sleek design, the laptop also has a physical shutter for your 720p webcam, giving you peace of mind and ensuring your privacy when you need it.
The Lenovo IdeaPad 3 is equipped with a number of connectivity options, including 2x2 WiFi (802.11 ac), Bluetooth 5.0, 2 x USB 3.0, USB 2.0, 3.5mm combo audio, and DC jack, HDMI, and SD card reader. This makes it easy to stay connected and transfer files, no matter where you are.
In conclusion, the Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14 Laptop is a well-designed laptop that is ideal for those who want a slim and lightweight device that is also powerful and efficient. With its Intel Core i3 Processor, 4GB RAM, and 128GB SSD, it is capable of handling a wide range of tasks, while the Dolby Audio and 14-inch FHD screen make it a great choice for entertainment. The physical shutter for the webcam and the various connectivity options are added bonuses that make this laptop a great value for money.
The Acer Aspire 5 15.6" FHD Laptop is a feature-packed computer designed for everyday use. It features an Intel Dual Core i3-1005G1 Processor with a base frequency of 1.20GHz and the ability to boost up to 3.4GHz. The processor is based on a 10-nanometer production technology that provides cooler operation and lower power consumption compared to the previous 14-nanometer technology of the 8th Gen series.
The laptop has a 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit TN display and is equipped with Intel UHD Graphics and an HD webcam. The laptop also includes Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax and a battery life of up to 8 hours.
The laptop comes with a 128GB PCIe SSD, which is significantly faster than a standard HDD for day-to-day tasks such as booting up, uploading and downloading files. The laptop has also been upgraded to 8GB DDR4 RAM, allowing for smooth performance of graphic-heavy PC games, video-editing applications, and multiple programs and browser tabs all at once.
The laptop includes multiple ports and accessories, including 1 USB 3.1 (Type-C) Gen 1 port (up to 5 Gbps), 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (one with power-off charging), 1 USB 2.0 port, 1 HDMI port with HDCP support, and 1 network (RJ-45) port. It comes with Windows 10 in S mode and can be switched to Windows 10 Home for free. Additionally, the laptop comes with a GalliumPi MousePad.
Please note that products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US and may require an adapter or converter for use in other countries. It is important to check compatibility before purchasing. With a 4.5-star rating and 74 customer reviews, the Acer Aspire 5 15.6" FHD Laptop is a highly rated and popular choice for anyone in need of a reliable and powerful laptop.
Also Read: Best 2 in 1 Laptops Under $ 300
The Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 is a 2-in-1 laptop designed for versatility and efficiency. It features a 13.3-inch Full HD touch display with narrow bezels, providing a beautiful and immersive viewing experience. The laptop is powered by a 10th generation Intel Core i3-10110U processor, with a clock speed of 2.1 GHz and 4GB of RAM. It has 64GB of storage, which is more than enough for basic use, and runs on the Chrome OS.
This laptop offers a wide range of connectivity options, including a built-in webcam, 2 USB Type-C ports, a USB Type-A port, and an audio jack. Additionally, it has the latest Intel Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0 for fast and reliable connections. The Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 has a 360-degree hinge that allows you to use it as a laptop or tablet, making it a perfect device for work, school, or entertainment. The touch display is capacitive and responds to touch inputs, and you can use the Lenovo digital pen (sold separately) to quickly write, click, or drag files right on the screen.
The Chromebook Flex 5 has up to 10 hours of battery life, ensuring you stay productive throughout the day. You can use your Google account to easily access files, videos, music, and documents stored on the cloud from anywhere. The two user-facing stereo speakers provide an immersive audio experience, and the slim, light design makes it easy to carry around.
In conclusion, the Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 is a highly versatile and efficient laptop designed for both work and play. Its touch display, powerful processor, and long battery life make it an ideal choice for anyone looking for a 2-in-1 laptop. However, it is important to note that products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US, and may require an adapter or converter for use in other countries.
The Acer Chromebook 314 is a laptop designed for the modern lifestyle, running on Chrome OS, an operating system by Google. With built-in virus protection, the Chromebook updates automatically and boots up quickly, ensuring that it remains fast over time. It is important to note that an internet connection is required.
The Chromebook comes with all the popular Google apps, allowing you to edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files using Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides. With access to over 2 million Android apps from Google Play, you can do more and learn more. Additionally, the Chromebook has built-in storage for offline access to important files, and an extra 100GB of Google Drive space to keep your files backed up automatically.
The Acer Chromebook 314 model CB314-1H-C884 comes with a 14” Full HD IPS display, Intel Celeron N4000 processor, 4GB LPDDR4 memory, and 64GB eMMC storage. It runs on Google Chrome and has a battery life of up to 12.5 hours.
It is important to note that products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US, and international outlets and voltage may differ, requiring an adapter or converter for use in your destination. Please check compatibility before purchasing.
The Razer Blade 15 Base Gaming Laptop is a top-of-the-line device designed for the ultimate gaming experience. It features a 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H processor with 6 cores and a max turbo speed of 5.0 GHz, providing exceptional performance. The laptop is also equipped with the latest NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design, which is based on the NVIDIA Turing GPU architecture and brings incredible rendering quality to even the most visually intense games.
The display on the Razer Blade 15 is a highlight, with its 4K OLED screen offering a blazing fast 1ms response time and a wide color range that covers 100% of the DCI-P3 space. The HDR 400 true black feature ensures deep blacks and vibrant colors, making your gaming sessions truly immersive. The laptop is also incredibly thin and compact, with a CNC aluminum unibody frame that houses top-notch performance in the smallest possible footprint while remaining durable.
In terms of connectivity, the Razer Blade 15 is fully loaded with the latest options, including Wi-Fi 6, Gigabit Ethernet, Thunderbolt 3, USB type-A and type-C ports, and HDMI, for a truly desktop-class experience. The laptop comes in a sleek and stylish Mercury White color, and is ready to connect to all of your peripherals.
It should be noted that products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US, and international outlets and voltages may require an adapter or converter for use in other countries. Before purchasing, it is important to check for compatibility to ensure that you can fully utilize the laptop's features. With a 4.4 out of 5 star rating and over 1,400 reviews, the Razer Blade 15 Base Gaming Laptop is a highly-regarded and popular choice among gamers.
Also Read: Best Laptops For Architecture Students
The Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S is a powerful gaming laptop with impressive specs. It is equipped with an 11th Generation Intel Core i7-11800H processor, which is a fast 8-core, 16-thread processor that can easily handle demanding tasks or run intensive games. The laptop also features the latest NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 GPU with 6GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM, which is powered by Ampere architecture and supports DirectX 12 Ultimate for the ultimate gaming performance. The GPU also features new Ray Tracing Cores, Tensor Cores, and streaming multiprocessors, making it one of the best options for gamers.
The 15.6" Full HD IPS LED-backlit display has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and a fast 144Hz refresh rate and 3ms Overdrive response time, providing an immersive visual experience. The laptop also comes with 16GB DDR4 3200MHz memory and a 512GB PCIe Gen 4 SSD, offering plenty of storage and fast load times. Additionally, there are two PCIe M.2 slots and a 2.5" hard drive bay available for further expansion.
The Acer Helios 300 uses a 5th Generation AeroBlade Fan with 89 blades to increase air intake and keep the system cool, reducing throttling for better sustained performance. The laptop also has Intel Killer DoubleShot Pro with Ethernet E2600 and Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i, allowing you to use Wi-Fi and Ethernet at the same time and prioritize traffic for maximum speed, throughput, and control. With Alexa Show Mode, you can use the laptop as a full-screen interactive experience that features rich visuals and lets you talk to Alexa from across the room.
The dual speakers are enhanced by DTS:X Ultra for high-end surround sound, and there are a variety of ports available for all accessories, including USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C (Thunderbolt 4 and USB Charging), 2 USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 2 (Power-off Charging), HDMI 2.1 with HDCP support, Mini DisplayPort 1.4, Headphone/Speaker/Line-out Jack, Ethernet (RJ-45), and DC-in for the AC adapter. The laptop has a compact form factor, measuring 14.31" W x 10.04" D x 0.90" H and weighing 5.07 lbs, and comes with a one-year international traveler's limited warranty. The battery life was tested using video playback and can last up to 6 hours. Note that this product may require an adapter or converter for use in different countries, so it's important to check compatibility before purchasing.
The LG Gram 17Z90P Laptop is a top-of-the-line device that boasts an impressive 17-inch WQXGA (2560x1600) IPS LCD display with DCI-P3 99% color expression. The device is powered by the latest 11th generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor, which delivers seamless performance for high-resolution content creation and editing. With its 16GB LPDDR4X 4266mhz RAM, this laptop provides ample memory for even the most demanding tasks. Whether you're a creative professional, graphic designer, or student, this device has you covered.
The 1TB PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD offers dependable storage that is accessible in a flash, allowing you to complete your work quickly and efficiently. The two USB-C ports with Thunderbolt 4 support, two USB-A 3.2 ports, a full-size HDMI port, a microSD card reader, and a 3.5mm audio jack make it easy to connect to all of your peripherals, including external hard drives, displays, and audio devices.
This laptop is an Alexa built-in device, providing easy access to all of your favorite voice-controlled features, such as playing music, ordering food, or setting reminders. It comes with upgradeable Windows 10 Home and is available in a sleek and stylish black color. The device is lightweight, making it the perfect companion for those who are constantly on-the-go. The LG Gram 17Z90P is a versatile, high-performance laptop that is sure to impress.
Please note that products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US and that outlets and voltage may differ internationally. This product may require an adapter or converter for use in your destination, so it is recommended to check compatibility before purchasing.
The 2022 ASUS TUF Gaming FX505 is a powerful and versatile laptop that is perfect for gaming and multitasking. This laptop features a 15.6-inch FHD 144Hz IPS display that boasts impressive color and clarity with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. The anti-glare energy-efficient LED screen provides a comfortable viewing experience for extended periods of time.
Under the hood, the laptop is powered by a 9th generation Intel Core i7-9750H processor that provides maximum high-efficiency power for demanding tasks. The hexa-core, twelve-way processing provides a smooth and fast experience for gaming and multitasking. The laptop also comes with 32GB DDR4 RAM, which provides plenty of high-bandwidth memory to run multiple programs and games smoothly. Additionally, the laptop is equipped with a 1TB SSD, providing ample storage space and fast access times.
The laptop also features a RGB backlit keyboard that allows for comfortable and accurate typing, even in dim lighting. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card, with 4GB GDDR4 dedicated graphics memory, provides solid image quality for Internet use, movies, basic photo editing, and casual gaming. The laptop also includes DTS software with stereo speakers and a 720p HD webcam.
The laptop runs on Windows 10 Home and has a 3-cell 48 WHr Li-ion battery that provides up to 8 hours of battery life. It is compact and lightweight, measuring 14.2 x 10.3 x 1.0 inches and weighing 4.83 lbs. The laptop is equipped with multiple ports, including 2 USB 3.2 Gen1, 1 USB 2.0, 1 Headphone/Microphone Combo, 1 HDMI, and 1 RJ-45. The laptop also has wireless-AC and Bluetooth connectivity and comes in a stealth black color. The package also includes a bonus 32GB SnowBell USB card.
Please note that products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US, and the voltage and outlets may differ internationally. It may require an adapter or converter for use in your destination, so it is important to check compatibility before purchasing.
Also Read: Best Laptop For Civil Engineering Students
How To Choose The Best Laptop For Online School | Buyer’s Guide 2022
Laptop For Online School must have the following characteristics;
Even before the technical characteristics, it is worth taking a look at the format of the laptop you want to buy. Contrary to what one might think, this aspect is very important and can particularly affect the convenience offered by the laptop. It is not just a matter of size and weight, but also of the experience of use.
A traditional laptop can be powerful, but it may not offer the same convenience as a 2-in-1, which also allows it to be used as a tablet. It is therefore good to pay attention to this aspect: below you will find all the details on the main formats of laptops available on the market.
laptop: the classic laptops, those with clamshell closure considered the standard by many people. There are myriads of very different models and the market offers solutions for all budgets. In the past, the difference between laptops and laptops was linked to size, since the former used to be indicated in this way because of their excellent portability, while the latter was called so as they are larger models. To date, no distinction is made between laptops and laptops, since these terms are used almost interchangeably.
- Ultrabook: their peculiar feature lies in the very small size. The body, however, has a form factor similar to that of traditional laptops, since there is a clamshell closure. The case clearly fails to contain the same components as a larger laptop. In some cases, low voltage processors are implemented to reduce power consumption and heat loss. Typically, these laptops use sophisticated materials, from aluminum alloys to magnesium. Generally speaking, the price to take home an ultrabook is higher than that of a traditional laptop.
Also Read: Best Laptops For Contractors
- Detachable (2-in-1): they are called in this way because they are a sort of middle ground between the world of laptops and that of tablets. They are in fact composed of two parts, that the screen usually has all the components necessary for the operation of the computer, while that of the keyboard integrates all the USB ports for storage expansion and connection of external devices. The two parts can be combined and used as a traditional laptop, but the screen can be detached and used as if it were a tablet, thanks to the touch-screen display.
- Convertibles (2-in-1s): laptops known for their flexibility. The screen can in fact rotate 360 degrees and is a touch-screen. This means that you can store the keyboard in the back of the laptop and use the laptop as if it were a tablet. Obviously, this solution also guarantees the user other possibilities, such as the curtain mode used mainly for the reproduction of multimedia contents.
- MacBook: If you hear this term, it does not mean that you are talking about a laptop that is technically different from the others. We are simply talking about Apple's laptops, which have the proprietary macOS operating system and not the classic Windows. For the rest, however, they have particular characteristics, neither for functionality nor for the form factor, compared to laptops of other brands. The asking price to take these products home is high, but these are laptops designed down to the smallest detail and built with quality materials. The brand, now known all over the world, should not be underestimated.
Also Read: Best Thunderbolt 3 Laptop
- Chromebook: this term refers to laptops that use the Chrome OS operating system. The latter is in some ways closer to the world of mobile devices than to that of PCs since it is mainly based on the range of services offered by Google and Android applications. Usually, Chromebooks are cheap and are aimed at those who have no special needs and maybe just browse the web and manage documents.
It is well known that a student needs to write and read a lot, as well as to watch graphics, videos, and many other multimedia contents. For this reason, choosing a laptop with a good display and also having the right size for your needs is of fundamental importance. Speaking of resolution, it is usually good to stick to Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels), which is a cross between simple HD (1366 x 768 pixels or 1280 x 720 pixels) and Ultra HD 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels) . The first is not enough to see how multimedia content should be, while the second is often exaggerated for the uses that a student can make of it. As for the screen size, ranging from around 10 inches to as high as 18 inches, it's all a matter of preference.
Some may prefer a large screen to better watch videos and manage operations that require more precision, while others may want to bet everything on portability. It is usually best not to go beyond 15 inches, as a student often needs to put the laptop in the backpack anyway.
Another thing: do not make the mistake of thinking that size and resolution are always linked: this is not true and you may find laptops with large screens at low resolution. In short, be careful and evaluate all the options well. Below you will find the classic screen sizes offered by the laptop market.
Also Read: Best Laptops For ArchiCAD
- From 10 to 12 inches: these are often convertible or detachable, laptops that are usually referred to with the term 2-in-1, as they can be used both as a laptop and as a tablet. We are talking about easily transportable models, which often have a low weight and can be easily stored in a backpack. Put simply, we are talking about hybrid laptops that usually have Windows. The performances, in general, are not the best, but surely this solution can be very useful for that type of student who does not need to carry out particularly expensive actions in terms of resources.
- From 13 to 14 inches: many believe they are the right compromise between portability and performance. A cross between 10 or 12-inch convertible/detachable and traditional 15-inch laptops. They are not too difficult to carry and often have technical characteristics that are close to those offered by 15-inch laptops.
- 15 inches: the classic laptops, or the ones we usually see around. They are the most popular on the market and are considered the standard by many people, as the size of the screen allows you to easily carry out all the necessary activities, from document management to gaming. All this, however, is not too difficult to transport. Usually, this solution is chosen because it is also the one that offers more possibilities since there are 15-inch laptops for all budgets.
Also Read: Best 14 Inch Laptops Under $ 1000
- From 17 to 18 inches: although they are usually not very suitable for a student due to their poor portability, it is still good to talk about the existence of these laptops defined as "desktop replacement". As the name suggests, the models involved are able to replace a traditional desktop PC thanks to their high performance and are mainly aimed at those who want to focus on gaming or have special needs related to operations that do not allow compromises. They can hardly be transported and often have a considerable weight, but it could still be an interesting solution in certain contexts.
The datasheet is obviously an aspect of fundamental importance to judge the goodness of a laptop. Although a student does not often have the needs of a professional and can therefore also be satisfied with medium / low range solutions, it is still good to understand what are the solutions offered by the market to be able to aim for the best laptop possible. On the other hand, the speed of execution of the apps, the available ports, the presence of the webcam, and the autonomy depend on the internal components., just to name a few of the parameters a student should consider when buying a laptop. Below you will find all the information about the components to be taken into consideration.
Also Read: Best Laptop For Photo Editing Under $500
- CPU (processor) : If I had to use a few words to describe this component, I would say that it is the brain of the computer. Its activities are in fact those related to calculations and data processing through the calculation units called core. The laptops on the market usually integrate a multi-core processor, often Quad-Core (therefore an SoC that has 4 computing units available). However, there are also other solutions on the market, from Octa-Core to Six-Core. Calculation units usually operate at equal frequencies, expressed in GHz. It can also happen, however, that there are CPUs that have computing units operating at different frequencies. In any case, what interests us is that these frequencies represent the raw power of each individual processor unit. Furthermore, the higher the number of cores, the greater the ability to operate with multiple tasks at the same time. The processor market has long been essential in the hands of two companies, Intel and AMD. Below you will find the main CPU families.
- Intel Core i3 / i5 and AMD Series A: These are the processors most used by mid-range laptops. They are seen as an excellent compress, thanks to their good relationship between performance and consumption. To find your way around these CPUs, you also need to know that Intel Core i3 processors are cheaper than Core i5, but the latter guarantee higher performance.
- Intel Core i7 / i9 and AMD Ryzen: designed for those who really want to aim for the top , these processors are the high-end of the market and guarantee the user everything he is looking for in terms of performance. Difficult to give you a golden rule to choose between these processors, but you should know that Intel processors are usually praised for performance and consumption, while AMD SoCs are appreciated above all for their low cost.
- Intel Celeron / Pentium and AMD E Series: Made to meet the needs of those who can't afford too much for a laptop, these CPUs come with laptops that don't cost too much and often offer below-average performance. However, the processors are still “calibrated” to be able to carry out the most common operations, from simply surfing the Web to running the least demanding programs in terms of resources.
- Intel Atom or AMD Micro: If you need a certain kind of autonomy, you should take a look at the laptops that are equipped with these processors. In fact, their focus is on energy saving and usually, they are interesting solutions for those who often do not have a power outlet available during the day.
- Intel Core m: a compromise between performance and autonomy, a sort of middle ground between the Intel Atom and the Intel Core. They consume little and have overall good performance. Laptops with these processors can certainly be of interest to a student.
- ARM: ARM architecture is not a new reality for electronics and information technology. In this case, however, only in recent years have the most important brands decided to use this family of microprocessors not only in smartphones or tablets but also in laptops. Their characteristic is to perform all functions (even with high performance) with low power consumption. An advantage that makes them suitable for use on ultra-thin laptops (in some cases even without a cooling system without fans) but also in desktop computers. To most sensationally implement these chips in its computers was Apple, with its Apple Silicon chips (eg M1), capable of providing superior performance to many Intel and AMD processors with significantly lower consumption. ARM SoCs are however also present in some products with Windows and are destined to be increasingly protagonists of the market. But beware that they require dedicated software, programs written for X86-X64 processors run in emulation, therefore with potential drops in terms of performance.
Also Read: Best Laptop For Photo Editing On A Budget
- GPU: defined as a visual processor, this is the component that is used to complete all the graphics processing. In many laptops, the GPUs are integrated with the same package as the processor, but if you have particular needs, especially in terms of gaming, 3D modeling, video editing or high-level photo editing, you should aim for a dedicated video card (with its own RAM memory ). The integrated solutions are good in many cases since they are economical and consume less, but the integrated cards guarantee more power and are able to run heavier applications. The main manufacturers of dedicated video cards are AMD and Nvidia.
- RAM: is the volatile memory where data is temporarily "stored" to be used by the computer when it is needed. Generally speaking, a laptop with more RAM is able to open multiple applications at the same time without performance problems. Of course, this doesn't mean that you just need a lot of memory of this type to have a powerful laptop, but you still need to have a CPU that can handle the workload. A standard value that can be fine is 8GB, but if you have particular budget restrictions and don't have to make advanced uses of the laptop, you might be satisfied with 4GB as well.
- Storage: non-volatile storage devices, i.e. memories in which the computer saves all that data that remains accessible even after restarting the laptop. Below you will find all the relevant information on the different types of storage.
- SSD: the fastest memories. A solid-state drive can make your laptop load programs and operating system faster. The improvements over a common hard drive often make themselves felt since many use SSDs to "revitalize" old PCs. We are also talking about silent units and being able to withstand more shocks. Clearly, the price is higher, with the same capacity, compared to that of common hard drives. The existence of various types of SSDs should not be underestimated. The PCIe (often formed M.2 ) are generally faster, while SATA III they are slower, although their performance is still excellent.
- eMMC: these are flash memories or those that we have come to know mainly with USB sticks and SD cards. They are mainly used in entry-level laptops, in those inexpensive models that are purchased by those who do not have a large budget. The performances are configured in the medium / low range and are lower than those offered by SSDs. Despite this, the low cost usually makes this memory an attractive solution.
- Hard disk: the good old traditional mechanical disks, better known as "hard disks". They can't quite keep up with solid-state drives in terms of speed, but they often come at a low cost that might still make them attractive. The main aspect to watch out for in this case is the rotational speed of the disks, which typically ranges from around 5400 to 7200 rpm. Trivially, the higher this value, the higher the read and write speeds. To give you a concrete example, program uploads with a 7200 rpm hard drive may be faster than those guaranteed by a 5400 rpm hard drive.
Also Read: Best Laptop Under 150 USD
- Battery: The component that allows you to use the laptop even when it is not connected to the power outlet. The classification is carried out taking into consideration the number of milliampere-hours (mAh) and the number of cells available. It is important to note that the autonomy also depends a lot on the laptop since there are countless hardware components on the market and often it is also the software optimization that makes the difference. Put simply, don't think that the same battery lasts the same time in all laptops. However, generalizing, we can say that the higher the mAh number, the longer the duration of a system. In some, the specifications of the battery may be indicated in Wh and V . To find the mAh, you must then divide the Wh by the Volts and multiply the result by 1000.
- Ports: Speaking of connectivity, laptops on the market can have a myriad of different configurations. Generally, the ports that are almost always present are the USB ones, which are found in the classic format (USB A, that of the keys) or in other more compact ones (microUSB, miniUSB, or USB Type-C, which you have probably heard about in smartphone field). There are also standards related to the maximum data transfer speed. To give you a concrete example, the USB 3.1 ports of the second generation are able to transfer data up to 1250 MB / sec, while those USB 2.0 go up to60MB / sec. As you can guess, the difference is clear and it is therefore worth taking a careful look at these specifications as well. For the rest, laptops often have Ethernet ports (100 Mbps Fast Ethernet or 1 Gbps Gigabit Ethernet) to connect the laptop to a cable network, and HDMI and/or DisplayPort, which are used to connect to an external monitor. As for wireless connectivity, therefore connecting to a wireless network, pay attention to the fact that the laptop supports Wi-Fi 802.11 (no ac, even dual-band with support for 2.5 and 5GHz frequencies) and Bluetooth. Some high-end laptops, such as Apple's MacBooks, have Thunderbolt 3 ports which have the classic form of USB-C but can be used for the most varied purposes: to recharge the computer, to connect external memory units, and transfer data at very high speed, to connect the computer to external displays and more.
Also Read: Best Laptops For Digital Marketing
- Other components: Unlike a desktop PC, a laptop is a "360-degree" device. For this reason, it is very important to pay attention to the keyboard as well, since the latter can have the island, mechanical (mainly suitable for gaming) or membrane keys and may or may not have backlighting. Do not underestimate the presence of the webcam (useful, for example, to make video calls), an optical drive, and a card reader for reading and writing SD cards.
- Materials: Build solidity is very important and is a factor to take into consideration if you want to buy a durable laptop. On the other hand, a student's laptop can encounter unpleasant inconveniences and it is, therefore, good to take the necessary precautions. In particular, you should know that laptops can use different materials for the casing and the display shell. Usually, the less expensive models make use of polycarbonate. The latter is less resistant and unpleasant to the touch material compared to aluminum or metal alloys that are instead found in higher-end laptops.
Also Read: Best 2 in 1 Detachable Laptop
The operating system is the software that interfaces with the hardware to make everything work as it should. This is one of the most important parameters on which to base your choice in terms of laptops. In fact, a student needs to use programs that are often standard for all schools. This means that you can hardly get away from laptops that have Windows or at most macOS. Count that a good percentage of the user experience depends on the OS, as the hardware could essentially act as a paperweight without it. Just to give you a concrete example, in the midst of the myriad of tasks performed by the operating system, the driver managed to exploit peripherals is done by the OS itself. The operating systems on the market have important differences, from compatible programs to the interface. Of course, there are obviously some common aspects, such as support for “standard” files (for example JPGs for photos or AVI for videos), but you have to keep in mind that the differences are several. Below you will find all the details about the operating systems on the market.
- Windows: the most popular solution on the market. A student is on the safe side with Microsoft's operating system, as it implements all the functionality a user of this type needs. The most popular applications are compatible, and Windows 10 is now pre-installed on most laptops. Pay attention to the S Mode edition of Microsoft's operating system, as it only allows you to install applications downloaded from the Microsoft Store and could therefore limit you from this point of view.
- macOS: only available on MacBooks, is Apple's official operating system. It offers almost everything you might need "out-of-the-box", is compatible with many popular applications (eg Office and the Adobe suite), but some specific software available for Windows may not be available (forcing the 'user to virtualization or dual boot installation of the Microsoft operating system). It is appreciated by students who love the ease of use and have a certain budget to be able to buy laptops from the Cupertino company.
- ChromeOS: The operating system found on Chromebooks. Its focus is mainly on the cloud and the main applications available are the classic ones offered by Google. We could say that it is an OS that is in some ways closer to the world of mobile devices rather than that of computers, placing itself in the middle between the two types of products. I recommend that you find out about the possibilities offered by ChromeOS before buying a laptop with this operating system.
- Android: known mainly for its use in the smartphone field, the operating system of the green robot has now landed on a myriad of devices, including laptops. On the other hand, it is a very customizable OS and some manufacturers have therefore thought of using it also in this market. The main compatible applications are those available on the Google Play Store, just like with mobile devices. Before proceeding with the purchase, I, therefore, recommend that you take a look at the software park. In many cases, Android applications can also be installed on ChromeOS.
Those mentioned are the main solutions on the market, but you may also find yourself facing laptops that say FreeDOS. Well, this occurrence is quite rare, but suffice it to say that the laptops that are indicated in this way do not have any pre-installed operating system. This means that you have to proceed manually in the choice and configuration of the OS. These are therefore products intended for expert users who may have already carried out these operations in the past. Usually, with these products, you can save money, but I recommend that you only consider this option if you are really sure of what you are doing.
Do I need a laptop for online classes?
It is generally recommended to have a laptop or a desktop computer for online classes, as they offer more functionality and convenience compared to other devices such as tablets or smartphones.
Online classes typically require a reliable internet connection, access to various online learning platforms, and the ability to run software applications needed for coursework. While it is possible to use a tablet or smartphone to access online classes, they may not have the necessary screen size, processing power, or keyboard to effectively complete coursework.
If purchasing a laptop is not feasible, consider borrowing one from a friend or family member, or checking with your school or university to see if they offer loaner laptops or other resources to help students access online classes.
How do choose a laptop for students?
- To choose a laptop for students, consider the following factors:
- Processor: A fast processor (Intel Core i5 or i7, or AMD Ryzen 5 or 7) is recommended for smooth performance.
- RAM: 8GB or more RAM is recommended for multitasking and running multiple applications.
- Display: A 13-inch or larger screen with a high resolution (at least 1920 x 1080 pixels) is recommended.
- Battery life: A long battery life (at least 8 hours) is recommended for uninterrupted use.
- Portability: Choose a laptop that is lightweight and easy to carry around.
- Price: Choose a laptop that fits your budget.
Is Core i5 good for online classes?
Yes, a Core i5 processor is good enough for online classes. The processor is fast enough to handle most online learning tasks such as video conferencing, streaming video lectures, browsing the internet, and running basic productivity applications.
That being said, it's important to note that the performance of your computer during online classes also depends on other factors such as the amount of RAM, the graphics card, and the internet connection speed. So, while a Core i5 processor is sufficient, you may want to consider upgrading other components if you're experiencing performance issues.
What laptop do most students use?
The laptop that most students use depends on several factors such as personal preference, budget, and academic program requirements. However, here are some of the most popular laptops among students:
- MacBook Air - This lightweight and sleek laptop is a popular choice among college students, especially those in creative fields such as graphic design or video production.
- Lenovo ThinkPad - The ThinkPad is a durable and reliable laptop with a long battery life that is a popular choice for business students and engineering students.
- Dell XPS - This powerful laptop has a slim design and excellent performance, making it a favorite among students in computer science or other technical fields.
- HP Pavilion - The HP Pavilion is a budget-friendly option that offers a good balance of performance and affordability, making it a popular choice for students on a tight budget.
- Chromebook - Chromebooks are a popular choice among students who primarily use their laptops for web browsing, email, and other basic tasks. They are also typically less expensive than traditional laptops.
Which is the best budget laptop for online classes?
There are several good budget laptops available that are suitable for online classes. Here are some of the best options:
- Acer Aspire 5 - This laptop is a great value for the price and offers solid performance, a 15.6-inch full HD display, and up to 8 hours of battery life.
- Lenovo IdeaPad 3 - The IdeaPad 3 is another affordable option that offers a 14-inch full HD display, fast performance, and up to 7.5 hours of battery life.
- HP Chromebook 14 - If you're looking for a lightweight and affordable laptop for basic tasks, the HP Chromebook 14 is a good option. It features a 14-inch HD display, up to 13.5 hours of battery life, and runs on the Chrome OS.
- ASUS VivoBook 15 - The VivoBook 15 is a budget-friendly laptop that offers a 15.6-inch full HD display, fast performance, and up to 8 hours of battery life.
- Dell Inspiron 15 3000 - This laptop is a good option for students on a tight budget. It features a 15.6-inch HD display, fast performance, and up to 7 hours of battery life.
How do I choose a laptop for online school?
- To choose a laptop for an online school, consider the following factors:
- Processor: A fast processor (Intel Core i5 or i7, or AMD Ryzen 5 or 7) is recommended for smooth performance.
- RAM: 8GB or more RAM is recommended for multitasking and running multiple applications.
- Display: A 13-inch or larger screen with a high resolution (at least 1920 x 1080 pixels) is recommended.
- Battery life: A long battery life (at least 8 hours) is recommended for uninterrupted online classes.
- Connectivity: A laptop with good Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity is essential for online classes.
- Price: Choose a laptop that fits your budget.
Which laptop is best for online classes?
When it comes to choosing a laptop for online classes, there are several factors to consider, including performance, battery life, portability, and price. Here are some suggestions for laptops that may be suitable for online classes:
- Apple MacBook Air M1 - The MacBook Air is a lightweight and powerful laptop that is perfect for online classes. The M1 chip provides fast performance, and the battery life can last up to 12 hours.
- Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 - The Surface Laptop 4 has a 13.5-inch display and can last up to 19 hours on a single charge. It is a great choice for students who need a long battery life and want a portable laptop.
- Acer Aspire 5 - The Acer Aspire 5 is a budget-friendly laptop that offers good performance and battery life. It has a 15.6-inch display and is lightweight, making it easy to carry around.
- HP Envy x360 - The HP Envy x360 is a 2-in-1 laptop that can be used as a tablet. It has a 13.3-inch display and can last up to 11 hours on a single charge. It is a great choice for students who need a versatile laptop.
- Dell XPS 13 - The Dell XPS 13 is a high-end laptop that offers excellent performance and a long battery life. It has a 13.4-inch display and is lightweight, making it easy to carry around.