Can you upgrade the ram on a laptop?
Can we increase the RAM of a laptop? Yes, as long as you haven’t reached the maximum RAM capacity of his system! To find out how much RAM it can handle, you need to ask yourself the same questions as for a desktop computer.
That said, some laptops may not support upgrading RAM at all. RAM sticks are sometimes soldered directly to the motherboard, and you cannot remove them yourself. Check the internet to see if your laptop’s RAM can be replaced.
If your computer can handle more RAM, here’s how to install it:
- Shut down your computer, shut it down, and let it cool down.
- Unplug all cords, cables, and accessories.
- Turn it over and place it on a flat surface.
- Open the lower case, or remove the part that covers the RAM. These details may vary depending on your type of laptop. If you need to unscrew the case, remember the location of the screws because they are not necessarily all the same size.
- Touch an unpainted metal surface of the case to discharge any static electricity that your body may have accumulated. This will protect the sensitive internal components of your laptop.
- Remove the RAM sticks thereby gently pushing aside the clips that hold them in place. The RAM sticks should stick out a bit. You can then take them out of their slot.
- Grasp your RAM sticks only by the sides. Never touch the gold connectors or any of the components on the top of the strip!
- Align the notch on the bar so that it fits into the slot. Push it in until it is fully seated.
- Press down on the RAM module so that it is flat in your laptop. The clips should snap back into place.
- Replace your laptop’s back case, turn the computer over, and then reconnect all of your cables and cords.
Check RAM Upgrade
Once the RAM installation is complete, turn on your computer and look at its amount of RAM to verify that everything is working fine. You can return to the Task Manager (see above) or go to the Windows menu, type This PC, right-click on it and select Properties.
In System> Installed Memory (RAM), the total should match the RAM you just installed. If so, congratulations, you have successfully added RAM!
Where to buy RAM
You can buy RAM on the Internet or from a computer hardware dealer. In any case, buy it from a reputable supplier and find out beforehand: does it offer a good guarantee? Does it have a return policy? RAM is expensive and you should cover yourself in the event of a purchase error or product malfunction.
Installing RAM is usually the safest option, but it’s also more expensive. You can also buy RAM from a computer component supplier. Warning: You will save money on your new RAM but your warranty will not be as long. Finally, you can buy used RAM, but it is at your own risk and without any after-sales service.
Also Read: How to Buy The Best Gaming Laptop
PC performance doesn’t just rely on RAM
Contrary to popular belief, RAM is not the main engine of a PC. If you don’t optimize the rest of your PC, it will still row no matter how much RAM you put in it.
To optimize the components of your PC, we advise you to use AVG TuneUp: it removes all unnecessary software, junk files, and other residues to speed up your PC and get it back in shape. So before opening your computer to add RAM to it, try to make it work to its maximum capacity. And even if you decide to install RAM, AVG TuneUp will also take care of the optimization of this new memory.